Kunena vs Agora (considering integration)

14 years 10 months ago #101683 by ShadowKyogre
Kunena vs Agora (considering integration) was created by ShadowKyogre
I've been frustrated on which extension to pick as my official forum...since both can be used with CB.

It's just these differences that bug me:

Agora:
two different signature fields, not in synch
has permissions to let certain users view certain threads

Kunena:
the login box at the top
cannot designate specific users to view specific threads

Based on integration with CB...which one do you think is better?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #101696 by spaecman
Replied by spaecman on topic Re:Kunena vs Agora (considering integration)
I've just visited the Agora site and I have been quite impressed by it.

I don't know about integration in CB, but Kunena can integrate in a lot of plugins.

In kunena, you can perfectly say that a forum/category will be accessible only by public/registered/editors etc (same levels as in joomla).

Also, I chose Kunena because of it's integration with GroupJive (i'm still installing it but it has several advantages like allowing users to create various groups and manage them themselves, and also a way to create forums for groups when a group is created (i am still experiencing with this but it seems to work).
In agora, unless i am wrong, groups cannot be created by users the way they want, and the group is just a bit like "permission level" (users, modos, admins...). right ?

GroupJive does a better job allowing users to create groups of their choice (like "groups of pizza lovers", which has nothing to do wiith users permissions and privileges)....

You must not only look into CB integration, but also other plugins that you may need.

I mean, even PhpBB3 (one of the best forum ever) can be integrated into CB. I managed to install phpBB3 and have it work nicely, but for the future, it seems better to use a joomla native forum.

I hope it helps.

Post edited by: spaecman, at: 2009/06/10 19:35

Post edited by: spaecman, at: 2009/06/10 19:38

14 years 10 months ago #101709 by ShadowKyogre
Replied by ShadowKyogre on topic Re:Kunena vs Agora (considering integration)
Well, is GroupJive stable enough for normal usage?

14 years 10 months ago #101767 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Kunena vs Agora (considering integration)
ShadowKyogre wrote:

Well, is GroupJive stable enough for normal usage?

It will be in due time. That's what I'm working to accomplish. B)

As is though v1.7 from joomlacode SVN is relatively stable enough to use. May require a few tiny changes however.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 10 months ago #134016 by rosciak
Replied by rosciak on topic Re:Kunena vs Agora (considering integration)
With Agora you can create unlimited number of hidden forums for unlimited number of different groups. I can't imagine my forum without that option. If you need groups created by users, you can buy commercial component AgoraGroups. Agora can be also integrated with many Joomla extensions (like CB Joomsocial, jSocialSuite, UddeIM or Joomfish). If some extensions, like Group Jive, will not work with Agora, ask creators why they do not want to make their product working together with Agora. I asked developper of Group Jive about integration with Agora, he answered - only Kunena. So it's not Agora problem.

Why Agora? Because of groups with access , awesome support (answer from team in minutes, help with your live site by their hands), extended editor, users map, extended attachments system, Joomla Modules can be used inside Agora Component (there are standard modules positions where you can put anything you want - together with login module, which you are missing in Agora.

Example of login module on top Agora: battlestations.eu/index.php/forum

And finally - design of both components... Kunena just looks like.... Kunena...

13 years 10 months ago #134218 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Kunena vs Agora (considering integration)
We've chosen to support Kunena because they have been most responsive in working with us as far as an integration goes and a stable API.

Creating an integration is a two way street. If Agora is willing to implement an API to our satisfactory then we've likely no problems integrating it. However at this time we're satisfied very well with Kunena (and its progress) so have had no reason to reach to other Forum platforms.

Please also keep in mind CB is open source and provides a powerful API. Creating an integration to Agora provided via the community is VERY possible. Even using the existing forum integration as a base would be more then sufficient to easily add further forum integrations.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn