Groupjive vs SuperGroups

14 years 7 months ago #110770 by okstated
Replied by okstated on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
krileon wrote:

Again, this is doable as there are triggers allowing you to create any kind of integration plugin you want. It does not have to integration an extension. You can develop an inline displayed plugin if you see fit, such as forums specifically and only for groupjive, etc... Possibilities are limitless. All done by simple triggers.

Gotcha. Excellent. Even better. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #111146 by asgard
Replied by asgard on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
Just as a suggestion, Jaroslav Kadubec's Kunena Discussbot (update of the objectclarity one) would be a good basis for integrating commentary with GroupJive. I like the model of giving comment previews on the article plus all in the forums.

Post edited by: asgard, at: 2009/09/15 00:39

14 years 7 months ago #111154 by Johnnydement
Replied by Johnnydement on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
Putting aside I'm on the Kunena boat ;)

I think allowing userst odecide what they want to use is one of the biggest points in CB and GJ.

For instance, take supergroups or jomsocial, you may have an already working better solution for a given task, for example videos or photos, as could be hwdmediashare, you may want to keep it, but you're enforced to change to get a full integration, or have missleading core links and ugly apps (in best JS case).

For the forum example, have you though in how much more practical is to just hit latest messages in kunena, and see your groups posts? really think about it, for me, it's just a usability issue, I can log in forum and see all new posts inside group, on the other hand, if I have an open forum in my community, and then groups have their bbs, I have to open forum to see general messages, and then after do at least 2 clicks (or follow a bookmark) to go see the group messages... imagine when you belong to several groups! :)

I have more faith in a kunena+cb+gj integration than in cb and any other 3rd party solution.

And the reason is simple, COMMUNICATION. Nobody will want to integrate better GJ and CB than themselves, and we at Kunena have got a great communication with them, something we can't say about any other community building extension.

Supergroups visually looks stunning, but I don't see it being more powerful than Groupjive integrated with other extensions.

Integrating also allows GJ team to concentrate on what is important, group management, the rest is other people work.

That's how we see it at Kunena, why should we work on a better Kunena profile, when there are so many people out there working in awesome community extensions? better we keep improving our forum software no? ;)

Your feedback on the JED helps us improve Kunena. ;)

14 years 6 months ago #112819 by NateM
Replied by NateM on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
Well, the problem is that in the last 2 years, there haven't been any real noticeable developments on integrating groupjive with other components. In fact, if anything, it has taken a step backward. No offense to the people working on GJ at the moment, but when GJ 1.6 was still what people were using, there were more templates available, and more components integrated. Sure they were buggy, but that's still the case event today.

And while Kunena integration will be great, I'm sure, once it is completed, I don't want to be locked in to using one forum solution, which is why I'm using JFusion+smf instead of kunena. In fact, even if I wanted to switch over to kunena, there doesn't really seem to be much of a way to do that right now.

While integrations are fine and dandy, if it limits the amount of people who are able to really use the component to any useful degree instead of expands it, then I don't see that as a good thing.

14 years 6 months ago #114232 by rigg76
Replied by rigg76 on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
Do you know an aprox time when Beta 5 will be released? As far as supergroups, do you know if it's compatible with alphapoints?

14 years 6 months ago #114233 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
NateM wrote:

Well, the problem is that in the last 2 years, there haven't been any real noticeable developments on integrating groupjive with other components. In fact, if anything, it has taken a step backward. No offense to the people working on GJ at the moment, but when GJ 1.6 was still what people were using, there were more templates available, and more components integrated. Sure they were buggy, but that's still the case event today.

And while Kunena integration will be great, I'm sure, once it is completed, I don't want to be locked in to using one forum solution, which is why I'm using JFusion+smf instead of kunena. In fact, even if I wanted to switch over to kunena, there doesn't really seem to be much of a way to do that right now.

While integrations are fine and dandy, if it limits the amount of people who are able to really use the component to any useful degree instead of expands it, then I don't see that as a good thing.

The biggest hurdle (and the most time-consuming) was making GroupJive Joomla 1.5 compatible. That was done in an amazingly small amount of time after the CB Team took over the project. There has been a lot of bug-squishing since then (see the Forge for details) and it's still going on.

You can't perform integrations until a solid base is set. We're still in beta stage, so that's obviously not the case. The best way to bring improvements is to support the project by testing, reporting bugs in the forge, becoming a documentation subscriber, making a donation or helping in the forums.

You won't be tied into using Kunena once it's all said and done. The good thing about CB and the new GJ is that users can use the existing code to make their own integration plugins, pulling in even more possibilities. Most aren't going to do this until a stable version is released, however, so we're back to ways people can help speed things along.
:woohoo:

Post edited by: Rapunzl, at: 2009/10/16 03:34

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn