Public notification of group bulletins

14 years 6 months ago #111499 by rstoffiere
Public notification of group bulletins was created by rstoffiere
I have a website I am developing for a school district, and I am utilizing Groupjive. The teachers, staff and administrators are site members (using CB), but the general public (students and parents) will not be. I am using GJ to provide areas for activities and groups to have space to post information (for example - Yearbook Committee, Homecoming, Math Club, etc). GJ is PERFECT for this need. However, I'd like to find out if there is a way that students and parents could receive info of new bulletin postings from the groups they have an interest in.

For example, my daughter may be in the Ski Club. When the teacher managing that group adds a bulletin, I'd like my daughter to receive notification. If she were a registered site member, she could simply sign up with the group. But, as I said, site guests will not be given that ability.

Is there a way the public can sign up to receive updates from a particular group? I would be okay with an email solution or RSS feed. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Rick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #111504 by ckayfish
Replied by ckayfish on topic Re:Public notification of group bulletins
Perhaps CBSubs would allow someone the ability to register with only a name and email address, and the only thing they can do is register for groups that are set up in such a way that they only receive updates (e.g they dont have a profile etc.)

Perhaps another option is site admins register an accuont for each group and for the email address use an address that goes to a distribution list. You then find a way for interested students to be added to these distribution lists.

However, you mention RSS and this sounds much simpler. It is already a feature request.

Tips for understanding and solving your issue - Props to Krileon for creating this.
My Opensource CB Plugins: Mutual Connections and MYCB Cookie available here

14 years 6 months ago #111508 by rstoffiere
Replied by rstoffiere on topic Re:Public notification of group bulletins
I never even thought about the CBSubs solution. Thanks for pointing that out. I've not ever used it, but it looks like there is a money-back guarantee, so I don't have a lot to lose. It would be PERFECT if I could preclude the public users from even having a profile. I did not realize CBSubs could so that.

Like you said, RSS would be the best. Little to no administration necessary.

Perhaps I'll give CBSubs a try, on your recommendation. Where should I send the finder's fee?;)

14 years 6 months ago #111520 by ckayfish
Replied by ckayfish on topic Re:Public notification of group bulletins
You may want to post some details of what you want to do in the CBSubs pre-sales forum, or perhaps a team member will respond here. I don't know if it will work, and how much effort on your part it would take to set up.

This is just a CYA for me in case you buy it and spend many many hours trying to make it do what you want but cant. Don't blame me please :)

Tips for understanding and solving your issue - Props to Krileon for creating this.
My Opensource CB Plugins: Mutual Connections and MYCB Cookie available here

14 years 6 months ago #111521 by rstoffiere
Replied by rstoffiere on topic Re:Public notification of group bulletins
No way. I'm throwing you under the bus:evil:

That's a very good idea to post there, and I will.

Again, thanks for the help.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn