Coolness is leaving me cold.

14 years 1 month ago #125838 by jakobe75
Coolness is leaving me cold. was created by jakobe75
So I broke down and decided to see what all they hype was about with coolness.

purchase/install went fine

this template is editable differently than many templates I have configured in the past.

but it seems easy enough.

a couple things that bother me are the lack of the ability to use drop down or suckerfish type menus.

I know that you guys are thinking that you are saving a ton of speed..but really in the long run you are just slowing many users down even more.

WHAT!!!!!
yes its true..slower than before!

WHY?
because many of us WANT or NEED drop downs.
So we have to source one from somewhere else, which probably isnt as well built as if the function was just included in the template.

So we buy this really fast template with a menu system that we cant use and then have to either find a work around by adding mile long menus in our modules, or use a third party menu system.

kinda defeats the purpose of having a fast and slick template.

If I had to add all of my buttons on the left
My menu on the left will be a mile long!

but a simple drop down would solve all of this.

so fine...I'll use a 3rd party menu system, yes it might slow me down but...it will solve my problem without CB having to rework its entire concept.

but now the problems....
I cant find a drop down menu system that works!
I tried a few of the more popular ones found on joomla extenstions.

and although they install/configure just fine and they can load in the TOP module. It seems that the Z-indexing forces the menu drop downs to fall behind the content.

I have tried 3:
- superfish
- roknav (which I really dint expect to work anyways)
- Hdxmoo menu (dint really want mootools)

all 3 result in the same thing...behind the content.
so for now, this template is of no use to me until I can resolve this issue, I am forced to go back to my old template.

another issue or question that I have is about module placement.

Is it possible to add new module positions to this template

I have a great need for an inset module directly to the left of the content body.

as well as a double layered footer modules
so I can add site mapmenu and legal stuff at the bottom.

I have an advertiser on contract that requires their banner and content in this area.(inset)

I can utilize most of the Coolness modules positions.
but I dont think I can workaround not having inset module.

insets are such a great spot to give an advertiser.
That is my most popular banner position.
its up front and centered on the screen but takes up very little space...you have to stare right at it to read the content, its perfect!

but sadly...Coolness doesnt have this position.

I have added modules to other templates before, but with this being what seems like alien technology to me due to the integrated index and css.

I figured I better ask the experts first.

but on a lighter note...I have used this template with

- Super Activity (mod/com/plug)
- Community Builder
- Kunena forums
- SimGallery (com/mod/plug)
- CB Subs
- Super Events (com/mod/plug)
- Super Groups (com/mod/plug)
- Super messenger
- Geocode factory (module/com/plug)
- HWD video share (com/plug)
- Yoo accordion
- SFJ featured users
- shape5 image slide

and have not run into any major issues.

the only issue I ran into was with Jbolo chat, but I turned Jbolo off to get past the script error and continue.

I never spent any time addressing it as the menu issue above forced me to disable coolness and revert back to the old template.

I also did not install the coolness CB template
my CB template works great from JoomlaPraise.

and it allows me to customize mt userlists for a better grid type layout...hats the main reason I did not try it out.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #125906 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Coolness is leaving me cold.

WHY?
because many of us WANT or NEED drop downs.
So we have to source one from somewhere else, which probably isnt as well built as if the function was just included in the template.

We've already passed the information and need along for a drop-down menu. There are was to achieve a fully functional drop-down purely on CSS without the need of JS (we hope can be implemented). As JS can be conflicting or slow depending on its usage. We will have to investigate this implementation further. Thank you for the feedback; is appreciated.

As for module positions of course you can edit and add any positions you like to the template. This would of course no longer be the Coolness template though. Your scenario just does not fit a typical template and of course some customization would be needed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 month ago #125913 by parth
Replied by parth on topic Re:Coolness is leaving me cold.
Regarding the JBolo conflict, have you added a support ticket for the same to the techjoomla support ticket system ? Most likely playing around with loading/unloading Jquery / NO conflict should solve the issue. If not then do add a ticket..

We are committed to solving any conflict issues.

Php-Nuke to Mambo to Joomla...
My Evolution goes on!
Need Joomla Development?
Drop us mail! www.tekdi.net - sales@tekdi.net
Our CB extensions :
CB Adsense , CB User RSS, CB-Eventlist My Events & CB-Eventlist Attended Events, CB Network Suggest
Joomla Extensions, Training & Support
techjoomla.com/
Check Out our Joomla extensions at extensions.joomla.org/extensions/owner/tekdi/1
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/owner/techjoomla/1

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn