is CB a car without wheels?

18 years 1 month ago #5241 by achintya
is CB a car without wheels? was created by achintya
I have been using CB without a proper search component for about a year or so, and have seen all kinds of hacks and mods here in the forums.

What I can't really understand is that CB is, essentially, a non-searchable Mambo/Joomla database? Well, it can be 'filtered' but then the searches have to be predetermined.

How come it is possible to invent and use all these new fields and present them as tabs and lists, but make it impossible to search by them?

To my mind it is a teeny bit like building a car which can go at 100 mph and forgetting, or refusing, to add wheels?

What use is a database that cannot be properly searched?

Or am I missing something?

???

And every new edition of CB seems to be 'not' incorporating a full search of all fields (or selected fields).

I am keen to try out CB extended as it does seem to include this very function.

A car without wheels?

achintya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 1 month ago #5243 by silexian
Replied by silexian on topic Re:is CB a car without wheels?
loooool, don't you know this is OPEN SOURCE here ?

If you really want something, and it doesn't exist, here are the way to obtain it :

- wait for it (if you're lazy or not in a hurry)
- user your finger to code it
- rent a coder if you don't have the competence.

Remember ONE thing : the makers of CB don't have THE ORDER to to it. They do it for fun or for other purposes [...].
They MUSN'T have to DO it, they are WILLING to do it.

silexian, et je suis mort de rire ;)

ps : i'm testing the how much i'm lazy ;) ... but time is against me, i have so many things to do... that's for me. And for you ?

help me decrease my Karma ! i AM a bad boy ;) Hurry up or i'm gonna eat your soul :p

18 years 1 month ago #5244 by silexian
.... sorry to be so rude, especially after a hard day at work.

here is a PMS i send to him, sharing on the forum, just to tell people what to do for building a search engine component... I don't think a plugin is necessary, either, it can't be a plug in... It MUST be an external component

hello

yes, i'm developping one search component. The problem is i'm so so buzzy those weeks. i've done most of the thing in the end of december.

Hope to have some time, probably after the 12nd Februar (not before due to the amount of work)...

sorry to be so "rude" in the forum :)
i'm just a bit tired.

Have to take some time to finish it.

Anyway, if you can't wait, here is what i've done : i used the code from the latest CBE version, cutting everything BUT the search code, and produced a component. It's not finished. Have to debug it.
So if you can't wait, you can do that very quickly (3 hours maximum). And start debugging.

The next step would be joining the code to the "userlist extended" component which is "pretty" (integration with Mamblog, UHP, ...)...

help me decrease my Karma ! i AM a bad boy ;) Hurry up or i'm gonna eat your soul :p

18 years 1 month ago #5245 by achintya
Replied by achintya on topic Re:is CB a car without wheels?
Well, YOU are quick off the mark and full of gladiatorial ooomph aren't you??? Looooooool ??

Open Source, as you probably already know, doesn't mean amateur.... and building an unsearchable database does seem a wee bit amateur?

Thanks for the lecture etc. but you are just latching onto something with monkey mind and tumbling into your own mental states... this isn't supposed to be an attack ok? It is a comment on what seems an inexplicable ommission to what is otherwise a pretty good bit of software.

I am pointing out that, just a wheels missing from a car would make that vehicle pretty unusable, unless you just want to sit in it and watch the flowers grow, then having an unsearchable database is equally unusable.

Why do it? It seems a bit 'odd'.

Now... you are not going to agree with this and I know forums and forum gladiators well enough to expect you to just latch onto this in the same kind of way. YOu will see this as a kind of provocation... which would be a shame, but you will.

So.... I am going to put on my timer and see how long it takes you to come up with a really juicy attack on some aspect of my character, or ability to understand, or novice status etc etc.

What I actually would appreciate is some idea WHY the database is unsearchable?

timer starting now...

thanks for the attack, you made my night...

achintya

silexian wrote:

loooool, don't you know this is OPEN SOURCE here ?

If you really want something, and it doesn't exist, here are the way to obtain it :

- wait for it (if you're lazy or not in a hurry)
- user your finger to code it
- rent a coder if you don't have the competence.

Remember ONE thing : the makers of CB don't have THE ORDER to to it. They do it for fun or for other purposes [...].
They MUSN'T have to DO it, they are WILLING to do it.

silexian, et je suis mort de rire ;)

ps : i'm testing the how much i'm lazy ;) ... but time is against me, i have so many things to do... that's for me. And for you ?

18 years 1 month ago #5246 by silexian
no no achintya ! this is not an attack ;)
or it may have been an attack, just for fun... anyway, you ran, ran, ran !
i won't tell you that or that... that was not my intention.
let's closing it and start talking about what we want : improving CB. Nothing more, nothing less.

:woohoo:

Post edited by: silexian, at: 2006/01/31 23:26

18 years 1 month ago #5248 by achintya
Replied by achintya on topic Re:is CB a car without wheels?
I am reading that as a kind of apology. Sorry you had a hard day.

What is your understanding of having a database that cannot be searched? Is this ok?

What is your understanding of how so many people, both in this forum and on mambojoe have, for years, been asking for a proper search function?

What is your understanding of why the software continues to not have a search function???

Maybe wanting the ability to search a database, having just been given the ability to create unique fields, is asking too much. I don't really think so. It is just damn frustrating, as many many others are expressing in these forums.

I just don't understand? That's why I think it is a car without wheels.

Anyway... let's see if anyone has can explain this?

They will be putting out a version of Joomla which nobody can join next!! ???

ac

I hope your day tomorrow is better?

silexian wrote:

no no achintya ! this is not an attack ;)
or it may have been an attack, just for fun... anyway, you ran, ran, ran !
let's closing it and start talking about what we want : improving CB. Nothing more, nothing less.

:woohoo:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn