[SOLVED] Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file

14 years 3 months ago #117973 by nant
mediaguru wrote:

This must be the most-asked question on the board!

Yes it is.

Have answered it almost 100 times on these forums (but people don;t search before posting).
Have posted a FAQ article (but people ignore it).
Have written a very detailed CBSubs guide (but people don't take the time to read it).

If you have any suggestion that could help, I am all ears / eyes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #118413 by Phleum
nant wrote:

My idea: just answer the question. Snarky responses about reading the manual aren't as useful and take as long to compose as a one line answer that provides help. Thanks Rapunzl.

14 years 3 months ago #118415 by nant
Phleum wrote:

nant wrote:

My idea: just answer the question. Snarky responses about reading the manual aren't as useful and take as long to compose as a one line answer that provides help. Thanks Rapunzl.

Did not mean to be snarky. Just trying to save time in the future. Answering the same question over and over again is not a time saver. If someone reads this response, then maybe he/she will search just a bit more existing resources before posting.

Once again, just trying to protect available resources if of course possible.

14 years 3 months ago #118416 by Phleum
I meant that to be constructive... My field is in visitor services, where we routinely get the same question hundreds of times. We try to remind ourselves that it's the first time the visitors are asking the question.

"Where is the bathroom?" Right there next to the sign, for the 27th time. But while I'm explaining the value of learning the common system of signage, the poor kid still has to pee.

I searched for this question and landed on this thread. The new questions always float to the top, so searchers will always find the latest answer, even if it's the 100th one.

I've learned that if you have to take any action at all, it's just easier and faster to answer the question again. Even the dumbest questions are usually just poorly worded. We rarely have to tell people they've asked a dumb question; once they hear the answer they know it, just like I did with this one.

Some other ideas: Maybe make it sticky? Maybe copy/paste a link to the FAQ? Maybe drop the answer in a PM and delete the post? I know Joomlaboard can't do this, but the intuit boards pops up similar sounding questions in a window before the new post is sent. Now that's clever.

Post edited by: Phleum, at: 2009/12/05 08:39

Post edited by: Phleum, at: 2009/12/05 08:40

14 years 3 months ago #118422 by nant
Phleum wrote:

I meant that to be constructive... My field is in visitor services, where we routinely get the same question hundreds of times. We try to remind ourselves that it's the first time the visitors are asking the question.

"Where is the bathroom?" Right there next to the sign, for the 27th time. But while I'm explaining the value of learning the common system of signage, the poor kid still has to pee.

I searched for this question and landed on this thread. The new questions always float to the top, so searchers will always find the latest answer, even if it's the 100th one.

I've learned that if you have to take any action at all, it's just easier and faster to answer the question again. Even the dumbest questions are usually just poorly worded. We rarely have to tell people they've asked a dumb question; once they hear the answer they know it, just like I did with this one.

Some other ideas: Maybe make it sticky? Maybe copy/paste a link to the FAQ? Maybe drop the answer in a PM and delete the post? I know Joomlaboard can't do this, but the intuit boards pops up similar sounding questions in a window before the new post is sent. Now that's clever.

Post edited by: Phleum, at: 2009/12/05 08:39

Post edited by: Phleum, at: 2009/12/05 08:40

Thank you for your suggestions.

Please keep in mind that every new subscriber gets an email message and a private welcome message urging him/her to read the Getting Started article that has links to FAQ section.

I wish that there was some other way to avoid answering that same question again and again.

14 years 3 months ago #118456 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in
Also, just to explain a little why we try to get people to help themselves...

Unlike a service oriented business where you are paid, this is a free product with developers working incessantly on upgrades and enhancements to maintain CB and its plugins, modules, templates the best they can possibly be.

Besides taking away from development time, it's like the old adage: Give a man a fish and he'll eat a meal... teach him to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime....

.... or something like that. :laugh:

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.677 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn