memory erros - php.ini has gobs of memory

14 years 3 months ago #120978 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:memory erros - php.ini has gobs of memory
Timeout time and memory limit should be at the least as follows.

Timeout = 30s
Memory = 32mb

If experiencing issues try increasing these values to 60s and 64mb. Something is eating memory on your site though; as those values should be perfectly fine (as seen on multiple users sites). Have you tried a fresh install in a sub-folder or sub-domain to confirm if issue is present in a fresh installation?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #120987 by ssamenfeld
Replied by ssamenfeld on topic Re:memory erros - php.ini has gobs of memory
I'll try a fresh install tonight and see if things work better with just 1.5.15/CB1.2.1 and cbsubs installed.

Thanks,

Scott

14 years 3 months ago #122344 by beat
Just to help and help others too:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 29360128) (tried to allocate 327043 bytes)

means:

Fatal error due to maximum PHP memory limit (already allocated 29'360'128 bytes = 29.3 MB) (tried to allocate 327'043 bytes = 0.327 MB but could not allocate them without going over PHP memory limit, as set in your PHP settings for your website AND also in the server-wide setting.

As said before, show the error to your hoster in detail, add thousands separators to make it understandable, and show him that your real php memory stays at 30 MB (30'000'000 bytes) whatever you do set. PHP settings shown in your phpInfo in joomla may say more, but if there is a system-wide PHP setting which says 30 MB max, it will stay so.

CBSubs runs fine within 32 MB of RAM, which is pretty standard today in hosting offerings, and also runs fine on any PHP 5 with security patches applied, otherwise 5.2.6 might be required in some cases due to a severe memory bug in PHP (but then typically, the error message would say trying to allocate 2 GigaBytes or more), so that's not your issue here.

I have replied to the PM received regarding this issue with a link where you can give us info to help you find a solution with your hoster, that's our very first priority.

Regarding the time exceeded error, that's something that we can help investigate on the site. Please see the PM for details how to give us the admin and file access to help you.

We are here to help you,

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 3 months ago #122593 by beat
I have again answered to your PM.

I'm not seeing any other thread with a 60 seconds timeout problem in here. If there would be anyone else having a CBSubs issue like that, this forum would be full of it.

We are here to help you, but need to look at the installation to see what's wrong, most probably another server or configuration issue.

Please allow us to help you making your installation work. The PM contains a link to open a support ticket in a secure way.

We can't help more without access, sorry.

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 2 months ago #123112 by beat
Ok, following receipt of your site access details the day before yesterday, and your yesterday evening's confirmation that you had a full backup before we start working, we could drill down into the issues you have been facing today and we could find a solution: :)

I'm reporting back these good news to the community, so that others facing same issues know what to do: ;)

We have pinpointed it to be another occurrence of the <PHP 5.2.5-unpatched bug in PHP itself, and we have spent most of the day trying to design a workaround. We could finally find a workaround to that nasty PHP 5.2.2-unpatched bug, and have implemented it completely into CBSubs 1.1. We have also back-ported the workaround into the CBSubs 1.0.3 which is installed on your site, and the issues that you faced (sporadic huge memory consumptions as well as the execution timeout) that we could both reproduce prior to the changes, on your site, have both been solved as far as we could see.

We have implemented the workaround on your site, and the issues seem to be solved.

Please note that PHP 5.2.2 unpatched has known vulnerabilities, and that an upgrade is highly recommended. But the vulnerabilities of PHP 5.2.2 were not the issue here, neither was CB or CBSubs in cause here either, but as said it's a bug INSIDE PHP 5.2.x < 5.2.6 that was the issue.

If anyone has such a host with PHP < 5.2.6 and unpatched and doesn't have choice to do the highly recommended upgrade or change hosting, please PM me for a workaround-version of CBSubs 1.0.3.

Upcoming CBSubs 1.1 will be working around that PHP bug, so I hope we can lift the PHP 5.2.6 prerequisite. :)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn