[#1792] Hidden fields empty when user edit

13 years 9 months ago #136102 by kbotnen
Hi,

I really dont know it this is a bug or what, but it seems like strange behaviour to me.

I use cb_subs to create several access levels. I have labors and admins. On the labors tab there are several fields, also some fields that are not visible or editable by the labors themself.

Scenario:

Administrator goes to a users profile, edit profile, change a "not labor visible field" (i.e multiselect) and save it.

The the user himself login later, edit his profile, change some other fields and save.

The value set by the Administrator in the "not labor visible field" is now reset to "" / blank.

How come? Is this how its suppose to behave? Anyone else experienced something similar?

Kristian-

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/06/21 16:33

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #136120 by krileon

How come? Is this how its suppose to behave? Anyone else experienced something similar?

This is working as intended. If a field is protected by CBSubs Fields Tabs protection and the user doesn't have a subscription to the plan that is protecting the field then its value will always blank when the user saves their profile. We are however aware of this issue and will be addressing as necessary. I recommend for hiding fields to use the CB Privacy plugin instead which will not cause such "blanking" (using this document subscriber plugin you can set a field to not have an edit display).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #136154 by kbotnen
I see.

I cant achieve the level of detail I need with a simle on / off switch (privacy plugin) as some plans can see the protected field, but not edit, and some plans can both see and edit, and some cant do nothing (no see - no edit).

Its a bit irritating since all the administrators work of setting those fields are getting wasted when the users login and the fields get blanked out :/

The strange thing is that if seems to work (not blanking) if I protect the field itself. But so far is have only worked on selectfields with number values. Not multiselect and string. I have to investigate this further.

Thanks for you reply. I will post any findings for other to reference if I find something interesting on this issue.

-Kristian

13 years 9 months ago #136179 by krileon
Have created a bug ticket to have your issue further addressed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #136182 by kbotnen
Replied by kbotnen on topic Re:[#1792] Hidden fields empty when user edit
Hi.

I have investigated this issue further and found out that as long as I let cb_subs controll the fields availability too it works as (I) expected.

So if I want to hide / restrict a field and retain its value upon frontend profileowner edit I have to hide / restrict the field itself, not only the tab its placed on. I can also restrict the tab thus make it possible to mix fieldaccess and tabaccess on a very detailed level :)

So I guess its not a bug as you stated in the initial reply to my post, but just a matter of "no inheritance of access level from tabs to fields" which is probably the most "correct" sense to solve this sort of thing.

-Kristian.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn