I don't want IP addresses showing on my site

13 years 9 months ago #134320 by lexiack
I saw a locked topic about this earlier stating that IP addresses are shown in comments as a "warning" to people not to post illegal content or whatever, but showing people's IP addresses is against my privacy policies.

So would someone be willing to instruct me as to what code to edit, and how to edit it, in order to fix this OR to create an option that allows administrators to opt to not show IP addresses in the comments? I'm not a coder.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #134324 by heyai
Where exactly are IP adresses showing? By default only Moderators will be able to see IP adresses in Profile Book etc.

hey-ai - the community for asian guys and non-asian girls

The search bar is your friend, not just decoration!

13 years 9 months ago #134344 by krileon
As heyai has mentioned only moderators can see IP Addresses; the public is not aware of such information and is used strictly my moderators to help combat spam, etc...

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #134404 by lexiack
I logged in under a "registered user" account, not as moderator or admin, and still saw the IPs showing in the comments.

To answer another question on here, the IPs are showing at the top of the comment, just to the left of the date.

By the way, the comment system I have on my site is !joomlacomments, if that makes any difference.

I've disabled CB until I can resolve this, I don't want my viewers to see each others IP addresses.

Thanks!

Post edited by: lexiack, at: 2010/06/01 05:11

Post edited by: lexiack, at: 2010/06/01 05:13

13 years 9 months ago #134477 by krileon
The IP address will show if the person that posted was anonymous if you allow anonymous posts. Registered, etc... users IP Addresses should not display unless being viewed by a moderator. Have confirmed working fine locally and live. You do not appear to be subscribed which is likely the problem. The latest release is only available to document subscribers where such issues are not present.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/06/01 15:46

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #134490 by heyai
lexiack wrote:

By the way, the comment system I have on my site is !joomlacomments, if that makes any difference.

Yes, that makes all the difference. Please check with the developers of that plugin for an update or bugfix.
You may enable CB again while disabling joomlacomments.

hey-ai - the community for asian guys and non-asian girls

The search bar is your friend, not just decoration!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn