Why use cblogin module?

13 years 10 months ago #135594 by Legends
Why use cblogin module? was created by Legends
Why does CB want me to use the CB login module instead of the defult Joomla module?

Reasons against:
They look the same
Password Reset can be done by anyone and it changes your actual password, rather than the Joomla method of email confirm.
It uses internal Email routine for password reset rather than Joomla mail routine. (important when JMail is customised).

Reasons For:
? It does some special CB login stuff?
Register Link goes to CB register (admins can override that in a template easily enough, or disable Register on the forum and put a link in the Menu manually etc)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #135636 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Why use cblogin module?

Why does CB want me to use the CB login module instead of the defult Joomla module?

Because our module has added security and various triggers used by 3rd party plugins as well as Joomlapolis released plugins. It also ensures the proper registration, etc.. links are used and that upon login the correct CB triggers are fired.

There are a numerous amount of reasons and there is no workaround. Either use the CB Login module or more then likely your site will go out of sync or numerous plugins will fail to operate. Not every reason can be seen with the naked eye, a lot of it is simply done "under the hood" which Joomla does not do.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 10 months ago #135638 by Legends
Replied by Legends on topic Re:Why use cblogin module?
I will have to just use the CB module and alter the links for Forgot Password etc I guess. I really don't like the way it lets anyone reset a password of an admin just by knowing their email address and username - usually easy to see if they run the website and put their details online.

I understand the importance of the module now, since it does user sync and such stuff.

Post edited by: Legends, at: 2010/06/14 18:35

13 years 10 months ago #135645 by krileon
The reset password features works in the exact same manner as nearly any website around the internet. The only true way to identify a user and reset the password is via email address. Same could be said about millions of sites. You're welcome to edit the module to your liking or to set via the modules parameters to not enable resets. Simply set Lost password to Hide.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 10 months ago #135656 by Legends
Replied by Legends on topic Re:Why use cblogin module?
Maybe so, but the default Joomla reset does not work that way.

13 years 10 months ago #135834 by krileon
Legends wrote:

Maybe so, but the default Joomla reset does not work that way.

How does it not? It simply requests your email address. This implies anyone with the users email address could reset their password... I see no difference or added security of using default Joomlas. I suppose you could replace the link by editing the login module with Joomlas if you see if.

Password:
index.php?option=com_user&view=reset

Username:
index.php?option=com_user&view=remind

For further added security with document subscriber available CB Captcha it's possible to add captcha to the recovery page.

For further proof of this click Forgot login? in CB Login module then click the checkbox next to Username, same process is used in Joomla. It asks only for your email address. If you request password for added security also wants you to know your username. For both it only requires your email address.

Again, CB Login module is required. No workaround, period. If you wish not to use it then so be it, but we can not provide support for you if you insist on not using CB as designed.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/06/16 18:48

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn