"Link" not Linking. This needs re-thinking.

14 years 3 weeks ago #127728 by bokelleher
Hey guys,

I have selected the option for "New Registration and Linking", and it seems that New Registration is almost working as described, however, Linking is not. When you click "Link" as a logged in CB user, it just sits there. Also, the Link button does not always show the blue F facebook icon, it just shows a standard button with the text, "link" (a much lesser problem).

Here's a couple of scenarios:

Scenario 1: Existing CB User logs in with CB credentials and attempts to click "Link". Nothing happens.

Scenario 2: Same Existing CB User logs in from scratch with Facebook credentials and it "APPEARS" that their Facebook profile is linked to CB, but it is a totally new account with a different User ID. There is no link. (Additionally, the blue fb "sign in" button is still visible in the cb_login module, even though the user is authenticated and "Hide on Auth Integrations" is selected "Yes"). The logged in user has no ability associate their existing CB profile with the one that was created automatically when they signed in with Facebook credentials.

So a user now has TWO (2) accounts... (1)their original CB account, and (2) a new Facebook-CB account.

Yes, I realise that Scenario 2 is not handled by the use cases, but it's really the only one that my existing users would need. This is a huge usability hole for existing sites.

Here's the use case:

Joe User hasn't visited the CB-enabled website in a while, but uses Facebook frequently. He goes to the CB-enabled website, but he's forgotten his username and/or password. Rather than going through the recovery process, he just clicks the "fb-sign in" button. Now he is signed in, but he has no forum history, profile details, etc... and his username is "First_Last" instead of "joeuser123".

This could easily lead to half of my user base (thousands) creating duplicate accounts and also create considerable confusion. It's a non-starter. Maybe that's why this isn't implemented on joomlapolis.com yet.

====

I tried JFBConnect on one of my Joomla 1.5 sites and it DOES accomplish the linking of an existing CB Profile, but there is no version available for Joomla 1.0.x sites. I guess, failing a hail mary by the CB team, that I must migrate my Joomla 1.0 site to Joomla 1.5 and go with JFBConnect.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Environment: Joomla 1.0.15, PHP 5.2.13, MySQL 5.1.30, CB 1.2.2, Test Template RHUK Solarflare II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 3 weeks ago #127747 by ducks_mrd
Replied by ducks_mrd on topic Re:"Link" not Linking. This needs re-thinking.
Hi Bokelleher.

but there is no version available for Joomla 1.0.x sites

I have both the facebook and the twitter connect running on joomla 1.0.15

It does say in the included pdf documentation

Since it is fully compatible with CB 1.2.2, it is automatically Joomla 1.5 native (and also Joomla 1.0 and Mambo)

Hope this helps and saves you time having to upgrade to joomla 1.5

Best Regards

Mike

14 years 3 weeks ago #127748 by bokelleher
Replied by bokelleher on topic Re:
ducks_mrd wrote:

Hi Bokelleher.

but there is no version available for Joomla 1.0.x sites

I have both the facebook and the twitter connect running on joomla 1.0.15

It does say in the included pdf documentation

Since it is fully compatible with CB 1.2.2, it is automatically Joomla 1.5 native (and also Joomla 1.0 and Mambo)

Hope this helps and saves you time having to upgrade to joomla 1.5

Best Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

My reference to 1.0 was only that JFBConnect does not work with 1.0, and that CB Facebook Connect plugin does not link an existing CB user with a Facebook-authenticated user.

I am aware that the CB Facebook Connect plugin works with 1.0 (albeit, I saw issues with the "link" button not linking... sits there... does nothing).

So just to be clear, there is more than one issue here.

Issue 1. Link does not link (at least on my site)... dies nothing. ;-)

Issue 2. There is no way to link a Facebook-authenticated user to an existing CB profile (like JFBConnect does... but only for 1.5).

Just out of curiosity... is link working for you?

Thanks in advance!

Bo

14 years 3 weeks ago #127794 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:
You have a conflict of some sort from an outside extension, can not duplicate your issue. Please follow basic debug procedures of Help Us Help You with my signature. Need further information about your installation and server, thank you.

When a user clicks sign-in it attempts to find a user stored already with that facebook ID, if none is found it creates a new user and logs them in. If a user is already logged into Joomla and clicks link it will then link the facebook account to the existing Joomla account (adjusting fb_userid column in database to match the user).

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/03/23 15:36

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn