[SOLVED] Facebook Connect not working in IE

13 years 11 months ago #128953 by bgies
First of all... Thanks for the plugin, it works very well for every browser I have tried it on EXCEPT ... IE 7.

I wasn't sure exactly where the error was for awhile, because I haven't worked with IE much lately. I finally did track it down, and it's the Facebook Connect initialization line :

[code:1]$( 'html' ).attr( 'xmlns:fb', 'www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' );}); [/code:1]

I'm getting an "Error: Expected identifier, string or number" on that line...

Any ideas? I can't figure out how to trace into the code on IE, so I will see if I can trace it with FireFox, and figure out what IE is seeing.....

Works perfectly on FireFox, Google Chrome though...

Any help very welcomed...

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/04/05 18:12

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 11 months ago #128974 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Facebook Connect not working in IE
It's possible IE7 won't support such usage of jQuery; such usage is REQUIRED for Facebook Connect to operate properly.

Asking users to manually edit the templates was simply out of the question; we've opted to use jQuery. Facebook Connect has been tested on: IE8 (with and without compatibility mode), FF, Chrome, Opera, and Safari.

I however can not duplicate your issue using IE8 developer tools and swapping the rendering engine to IE7. Can not confirm exactly how functions in IE7 it self as no longer have installed, sorry.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/04/01 21:42

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 11 months ago #128985 by bgies
Replied by bgies on topic Re:Facebook Connect not working in IE
Thanks for the reply. I can live with IE 7 users not being able to use it... The issue is a little more serious though. When I get the error, it stops all the rest of the initialization code from running, so almost nothing else on the page works after that (I use AJAX and other scripts extensively).

Any idea how to disable Facebook connect for this one browser? Actually, a very cool idea would be to have the ability to disable it for specific browsers in the setup parameters.... At least that way different sites could enable/disable it for the browsers that cause them problems.

I already use a custom index.php file for the Milky Way template, so I don't mind hacking it a little more, if I can exclude it for that browser there. Anyone have some decent code for that purpose?

13 years 11 months ago #129058 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Facebook Connect not working in IE
It's very likely the issue is not the jQuery, but due to some other extension installed conflicting. However, could not reproduce your issue locally or live (have used a separate system with IE7). This would indicate it's likely an issue in direct relation to your site only. All Facebook API has been rated to function fine on IE7 as well. Pleas examine your installation and what modifications you've made and is likely result of JS conflicts.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 11 months ago #129083 by bgies
Replied by bgies on topic Re:Facebook Connect not working in IE
Kyle,

I believe you are correct! After I posted this, I spent a couple of hours going through the CB and FB Connect code, and couldn't solve it because it only happened in IE 7. On the plus side, I did finally get Visual Web Developer working so I could debug Javascript on IE!!).

I absolutely could not find anything in your (CB) code that would cause the issue, so I gave up and worked on other things. While doing that, I moved some of my code to the onLoad event, so that it would execute later, and make it easier to debug.... and noticed that the error only happened intermittently in IE 7 after that instead of every time.

That definitely points to a conflict of some kind, and I'm fairly sure I can resolve it by lazy loading some of my other code. I'll post here if I can't, but for now, we can close this thread.

Thanks for you help... it's much appreciated.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn