Creating a Clan Member Profile with Vwar Links

17 years 5 months ago #23058 by pcjunkie
To link your profile to Vwar and create a profile page....

Get the clan memebers Module from here www.teamjl.net/
Then once you have set that up correctly you can begin a full team profile setup.

In many ways it can do maore than Clan Members however there are limitations.

you can begin creating your own teams profile, as well as that visiting members can include theirs!

You can, if members choose to, Compile one of the more comprehensive Clan profile Data bases available on a Team Website. The Limit is up to you on what information you gather.

So having set up that.

Think about what you want to display and how>
My exaple publishes all of that information to HTML but you could use the tabs to display it as well..

How many fields do you need?
Where do you want to display them? Remeber CB wll output tabs and it's child fields in 1 block. that block can be abywhere, in a tab, right side, left side, both, under the bottom tabs, on the top tabs...

Fairly flexible isn't it?

So to unlock the Power of CB begin with creating a tab (think of it as an information block set) that will display the child fields you specify.

OK so Add a tab..Open CB admin Tab manager..

click new
and follow the prompts...
I will demo setting up CB to include the text editor...
With this you can do anything...Include JoGadgets and you can have a fully tabbed DHTML gallery, Audio or video page...anything you like..

Once you create the tab you can edit what fields you want included, what order they display in and so on....

You dont need to specify the size and word limit here (though it does work) but in single line fields etc you can...

Publish the tab/s you created and this is what you can see from the users perspective

And the rest of any tabs you make....here I have Clan Profiling, PC system, Users history and so on...

Using CB's Included calender editor

And what the admin can do from the back end? edit the lot!

Just click on a name in CB's user manager

So it doesnt have all the features of Clan Members but it's Highly configerable, you change the display at any time and It's intergrated with everything else.

Best part....

Users can edit all that on when signing on..if you want them too...

Now for creating a list and a menu.

To publish a list and link to it you have to create a user list containing everyone, I tried just using the Clan Members List but it refused to work. Prehaps this is a limitation of CB.

www.notexa.be/joomla_tutorials/1._create_a_userlist_in_community_builder.html

What you see in CB backend with the new fields..

And this is where CB lets everyone down....

You have to create a default user list to enable access to the Members list....
THe display is less than ordinary and limited....

This is where Clan Members should come in...

Clan Members would be perfect for harvesting and displaying the List without the need to Publish a default list.
Clan members can admin tabs in CB if the dev chooses that path...

Create the tabs...harvest the information...All linked to CB and consequently ..everything else...

The Unfortunate Plain output of CB, this can be improved by editing the CB template though and creating custom CSS classes in your index template. Also CB is limited to just 4 colums. Prehaps 6 would be better, that's up to the devs...

In the meantime you can easily create multiple lists...
Another drawback is that JoGadgets may not work in the editor within CB output. Mine did not, if yours does, then you can quickly add tabbs to anything using the editor...Creativity is up to the user....

Sorry if the graphic offended anyone....It's MY game site Avatar....Just a little cheecky arn't I?

Post edited by: pcjunkie, at: 2006/10/22 15:28

Post edited by: pcjunkie, at: 2006/10/22 16:00

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn