Captcha plugin for Community Builder 2 - ?

8 years 4 months ago #274595 by d_jacobs
Replied by d_jacobs on topic Captcha plugin for Community Builder 2 - ?
Can I ask why previously free captcha functionality (via Google/CB Captcha plugin) is now not available without purchasing CB AntiSpam (Google's New Captcha)? I understand that I am using a free version of your product, but I feel that I lost functionality here. Will you consider releasing the New Captcha call as a separate free plugin, without the rest of the CB AntiSpam bundle (which has great value, but not for my simple site)?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago #274620 by nant

d_jacobs wrote: Can I ask why previously free captcha functionality (via Google/CB Captcha plugin) is now not available without purchasing CB AntiSpam (Google's New Captcha)? I understand that I am using a free version of your product, but I feel that I lost functionality here. Will you consider releasing the New Captcha call as a separate free plugin, without the rest of the CB AntiSpam bundle (which has great value, but not for my simple site)?

Hi and thanks for posting on our forums.

Glad you are using and enjoying Community Builder - which has always been free.

There was never a free captcha plugin for CB - not sure how/why you figured this.

Regarding your "lost functionality" comment - I already replied that captcha support was never embedded in Community Builder and in fact in CB 2.0 - which is also free we have embeded / included 11 previously paid for add-ons as described here:

www.joomlapolis.com/news/18481-11-previously-commercial-add-ons-included-in-cb-20

Just pointing this out for others reading.

Joomla does have now some integration with Google reCaptcha - if any comunity member feels like (and has the skills) creating a free CB pluging that integrates with the Joomla API that would be great.

8 years 4 months ago #274631 by d_jacobs

nant wrote: Glad you are using and enjoying Community Builder - which has always been free.

And I truly thank the hard work of the CB teams in their efforts and desire to keep the core CB free!! Without it, I could not have the site I have today.

nant wrote: There was never a free captcha plugin for CB - not sure how/why you figured this. Regarding your "lost functionality" comment - I already replied that captcha support was never embedded in Community Builder...

I never said it was integrated, I said there was a plug-in. I always save the install files I use (not the source I got it from, so it could have been created by a third party) which is named: plg_cb_recaptcha_1.1.9 - typically the author of a plug-in will put the name of his company or product into the name of the download file. I made an assumption that this was the case and that cb meant it was produced by Community Builder teams. If you say no one has created a free plug-in from CB, then I must have got this from a third party somewhere. Please accept my apologies for my assumption.

nant wrote: Joomla does have now some integration with Google reCaptcha - if any comunity member feels like (and has the skills) creating a free CB pluging that integrates with the Joomla API that would be great.

I'm sure there are a ton of Joomla developers, like me, who would appreciate the added security/protection of a single use plug-in like this.

Thank you for your informative and quick reply nant!

8 years 4 months ago #274632 by d_jacobs
I did a search on the file name and discovered it was sourced from an independent author on code.google.com (code.google.com/p/cb-recaptcha/). Again please accept my apologies for assuming it was created by the CB teams!

8 years 4 months ago #274668 by nant

d_jacobs wrote: I did a search on the file name and discovered it was sourced from an independent author on code.google.com (code.google.com/p/cb-recaptcha/). Again please accept my apologies for assuming it was created by the CB teams!

No problem - glad that we are now clear that we did not remove a free feature.

7 years 9 months ago #283212 by JHebbel
Replied by JHebbel on topic Captcha plugin for Community Builder 2 - ?
I had to Install then uninstall CB due to the lack of this simple feature. I understand the desire to charge for this, but I find $45 to be completely unreasonable for what it is.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn