Cookies keep expiring, expired cookie after days

13 years 3 months ago #147495 by Legends
I've had a cookie problem since I installed CB (at version 1.2), I've upgrded to 1.3

I think it might be due to my site being in a sub-directory but I'm not too sure.

I have Caching enabled, Kunena Forum and Virtuemart installed.

Cookies seem to always expire after a day or two.

Any Ideas?

Site link vivalavegan.net/community/

Post edited by: Legends, at: 2010/12/02 02:24

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #147579 by krileon

I have Caching enabled

Disable caching as it provides no benefit, but feeds users inaccurate data and can break many extensions.

Cookies seem to always expire after a day or two.

CB doesn't set any cookies, Joomla does this. Some cookies expire when you close your browser or clear cookies in your browser at any point in time will of course clean Joomla cookies. You can adjust the session lifetime however from Joomla global configuration, which will increase the lifetime of the cookie.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #150243 by Legends
That is fairly innacurate, but okay if that is the only way.

Other components that use cookies do work properly with caching on and caching reduces database queries.

13 years 2 months ago #150249 by krileon
Legends wrote:

That is fairly innacurate, but okay if that is the only way.

Other components that use cookies do work properly with caching on and caching reduces database queries.

Does the issue present it self with caching disabled?

The only caching that you will benefit from is contacting your host to have server side caching enabled. Caching within your Joomla install will not help aside from feeding users inaccurate data. It does help in scenarios where the same data is called multiple times on the same page load.

It's possible some cache extensions could be beneficial as long as they do not cache beyond the page being viewed (e.g. you refresh and it also refreshes the cache, but prevents duplicate data calls on same page). However, in most cases it caches the entire page, which is not beneficial.. as if say you add a new article.. the cache won't have that new article and your sites data has just become inaccurate.

CB has security checks, which rely on a unique generated string. This is designed to protect you and it requires 100% accuracy or the check will fail (and subsequently log the user out, which would clear their Joomla cookie). You can disable the spoof checking by editing plugin.foundation.php and changing _CB_SPOOFCHECKS define to 0 instead of 1. This may or may not help, can't say for sure.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2011/01/06 15:20

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #150293 by Legends

However, in most cases it caches the entire page, which is not beneficial.. as if say you add a new article.. the cache won't have that new article and your sites data has just become inaccurate.

Article edits will empty the article cache, so the pages are fairly accurate - but modules which use Article data wont be emptied.
The whole cache issue would be vastly improved if the entire cache was flushed whenever any article is edited.

CB has security checks, which rely on a unique generated string. This is designed to protect you and it requires 100% accuracy or the check will fail (and subsequently log the user out, which would clear their Joomla cookie). You can disable the spoof checking by editing plugin.foundation.php and changing _CB_SPOOFCHECKS define to 0 instead of 1. This may or may not help, can't say for sure.

That sounds like it will work. I will try that soon, then back to nocache if all else fails.

edit: looks like caching disabled still fails to work, I went back to the site today and was logged out.

Post edited by: Legends, at: 2011/01/06 23:51

13 years 2 months ago #150333 by krileon
Ok, would mean there isn't a caching issue causing this. Unfortunately we really haven't tracked down the cookies expired issue as to what exactly is causing it. If not done yet please perform a test with the spoof checking disabled and let us know if resolved or not (this would greatly help us determine if the spoof checker is the problem).

It can happen from server side issues (such as a server restart which would invalidate cookies). Closing your browser can also clear cookies (depending on how browser is configured). There are just so many factors it becomes difficult to debug (given a lot could be server or user related).

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn