Lots of spam accounts from Russia

7 years 5 months ago #288002 by jumpyg
Lots of spam accounts from Russia was created by jumpyg
Hi, I have recently been getting a ton of Russian accounts being set up on my site. Registrations are moderated, so they aren't causing any real trouble, but I am constantly getting emails for these bogus accounts and then I have to delete them.

I can't seem to find where I can enable captcha or otherwise stop these accounts from getting created.

Please help!

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 5 months ago #288003 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Lots of spam accounts from Russia
What's your Joomla version ?
CB version ?
Joomla registration settings ?

See our news regarding Joomla security releases.

We have a CB Antispam add-on here that does much more than just Captcha:
www.joomlapolis.com/addons/cb-antispam

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #288004 by jumpyg
Replied by jumpyg on topic Lots of spam accounts from Russia
CB 2.0.15

Joomla 3.6.4

The antispam plugin looks good, however, I am running a zero revenue site for my homeowners association. I have no budget.

There has to be some way to set up recaptcha, I'm thinking.

7 years 5 months ago #288023 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Lots of spam accounts from Russia

The antispam plugin looks good, however, I am running a zero revenue site for my homeowners association. I have no budget.

CB AntiSpam can be purchased standalone for $15, which includes 6 months of updates and support for CB AntiSpam.

Not unless it specifically integrates with CB to allow the user to fill out the captcha during registration. A simple approach is to make a text field that only validates a specific phrase (basically ask them a question and they have to provide the correct answer) using custom REGEXP validation rule.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 5 months ago #288024 by jumpyg

krileon wrote:

CB AntiSpam can be purchased standalone for $15, which includes 6 months of updates and support for CB AntiSpam.

Not unless it specifically integrates with CB to allow the user to fill out the captcha during registration. A simple approach is to make a text field that only validates a specific phrase (basically ask them a question and they have to provide the correct answer) using custom REGEXP validation rule.

Yes! Thank you! I had a test question on my registration form when I was on Joomla 1.x, but lost it when I upgraded to Joomla 3.

Can you tell me what I need to do to add a question to that form? Thanks!!!

7 years 4 months ago #288082 by jumpyg
Can anybody point me to how to add a custom question to my registration form? I can't find that option on the CB control panel. Thanks!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn