[#5197] Joomla Core "Require Password Reset" does not work with Community Builder

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #260791 by adoucette
Joomla Core has a "Require Password Reset" function in its User Manager. This is really useful in some scenarios. However, I'm having a problem with it and Community Builder.
If I set a user to require a password reset (in default Joomla user manager), they are redirected to the following url after login in the front end:
mysite.com/component/users/profile?layout=edit
This appears to be the Joomla user profile edit module. However, when a user resets the password there, it does not work, does not allow them to proceed. It keeps re-presenting the same page, and giving the following error each time: "Notice You are required to reset your password before proceeding."

The community builder link to do this appears to be
mysite.com/cb-profile-edit/userdetails

How do I ensure that either:
1) Joomla's core front end user profile edit module works with Community Builder to enter a new password
OR
2) Users will be directed to the Community Builder profile edit instead?

Thanks,
Ari

Joomla! 3.4.0
CB 2.0.7

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 4 weeks ago #261011 by adoucette
This is a core Joomla feature, does anyone have insight into either the reset or the profile redirect?

9 years 4 weeks ago #261014 by nant
Suggest you download and read the Free just released CB Primer book and read it.

Once you install CB you should stop using Joomla User Manager and Joomla login module.

9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #261082 by adoucette
Nick, I do not use the Joomla login module.
The only use of Joomla User Manager is to require a password reset if I've sent a user a temporary password through email.

This 'require password reset' is a new feature that was added to Joomla! 3.3 in the admin user manager. ("requireReset" column in the "users" table) It is my understanding that in Joomla 3.3.x, all 'forced' password reset requests are handled through Joomla directly, and therefore are unable to be intercepted and redirected to other components. (why the Joomlads login redirect component does not work with this)

I have verified all settings IAW the CB Primer book and the "Getting Started" articles on joomlapolis.
No changes were required.
The problem persists.

How can I ensure that users will be directed to the Community Builder profile edit instead of the core Joomla profile edit?
Is the 'require password reset' a feature that CB will consider adding since it is now in Joomla's core and will otherwise cause problems (like mine)?

9 years 3 weeks ago #261096 by nant

adoucette wrote: Nick, I do not use the Joomla login module.
The only use of Joomla User Manager is to require a password reset if I've sent a user a temporary password through email.

This 'require password reset' is a new feature that was added to Joomla! 3.3 in the admin user manager. ("requireReset" column in the "users" table) It is my understanding that in Joomla 3.3.x, all 'forced' password reset requests are handled through Joomla directly, and therefore are unable to be intercepted and redirected to other components. (why the Joomlads login redirect component does not work with this)

I have verified all settings IAW the CB Primer book and the "Getting Started" articles on joomlapolis.
No changes were required.
The problem persists.

How can I ensure that users will be directed to the Community Builder profile edit instead of the core Joomla profile edit?
Is the 'require password reset' a feature that CB will consider adding since it is now in Joomla's core and will otherwise cause problems (like mine)?

I guess I am not understanding something.

Why can't you utilize the CB Login Forgot Password process?

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #261107 by adoucette

nant wrote: Why can't you utilize the CB Login Forgot Password process?

For the user: The users cannot utilize the CB Login Forgot Password process because if 'password reset required' flag is set for them, they cannot browse to any page on the site until they reset their password. But they cannot reset their password because of the problem described in the first post.

For the administrator: Does Community Builder provide a way for the administrator to require users to reset their password on next login? (either through the "CB Login Forgot Password process" or another more direct method?) This would be preferable, if available.

The "require password reset" is an important and useful feature in the user manager, which is likely why it was included in the Joomla core 3.3 release in April 2014 ( see tracker entry ).

Otherwise, is there a way to address the issue in the previous posts?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.679 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn