Need to verify custom email field to system email field

7 years 3 months ago #289944 by notyooagain
Hi again Kyle,

The reason I am trying to validate a custom email field to the primary email field is as follows.

I have different membership plans for paying members and free members and the key to my website is the free members email addresses
for which the paying members are give access to once they pay to join.

What is happening is that people are registering as free members instead of paying members to avoid paying and are able to
access the email addresses of the same group of free members.

I asked in a separate earlier post if there was any way that the email addresess of one group (free members)
could be hidden from members of the same group and your answer was no, so I have now created a custom email field for each
membership plan to be shown at registration and have been able to hide the custom email field on the profile search that members use.

I can live with the problem of not being able to validate the custom field to the primary field but it would have been good to do it if possible.

If all that makes sense perhaps you have a better suggestion for protecting the email addresses from members of the same group.

[Otherwise just turn on the verify validation for the primary email address and copy it to a new field using CB Auto Actions after registration as it accomplishes the same goal./quote]
Would this work?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago #289980 by krileon
I don't think you need that. I'm sorry if you've been told incorrectly regarding hiding a field, but this topic has not been very clear. You can protect a field using ACL with CB Privacy. You can protect a field based off subscription using CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection. You can protect a field based off ACL or field values using CB Conditional. You can protect a field using substitutions in its profile value layout even (surrounding [value] with IF substitution usage) which works with ACL, subscriptions, etc.. Any number of these usages is available to you without having to duplicate the field.

I asked in a separate earlier post if there was any way that the email addresess of one group (free members) could be hidden from members of the same group and your answer was no

This is still not clear. What is a group to you? A subscription or an actual usergroup? Those 2 usages are 100% different. You want to hide the email address of free users from other free users? In other words only paid users can see email addresses? If that's the case you'd protect the display of the email address field using CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection based off the viewing users subscription using the below.

B. Field visibility by Viewer's Subscriptions: Yes, viewer's CB subs control field visibility
Viewer Plans controlling field visibility by viewer (none means not controlled): YOUR_PAID_PLAN_HERE
Still Viewable for Profile Owner himself: Yes: profile owner can still view his own field

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 3 months ago #290363 by notyooagain
Hi again

I have 2 different user groups, free and paid. I also have a different search list for each of the free and paid groups.

When a free member searches the free group your solution works by hiding the email address from other free members but still shows the email address to paid members which is what I need.

Unfortunately now that setting also hides the email addresses of the paid members from the free members in the paid members search list. I cannot find a setting that will show those email addresses also. Is there a solution you can advise please.

Thanks

7 years 3 months ago #290403 by krileon
CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection can protect based off the viewing users subscription and the displayed users subscription. The B settings control based off viewing user subscription while A controls based off displayed. It sounds like you want the email address visible if the displayed user has a subscription. In that case the below should work.

A. Field availability by Owner's Subscriptions: Yes, viewer's CB subs control field visibility
Owner Plans controlling field available in profile: YOUR_PAID_PLAN_HERE
Still Available for Profile Owner himself: Yes: profile owner can still view his own field
B. Field visibility by Viewer's Subscriptions: No, Normal CB settings

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 3 months ago #290510 by notyooagain
Hi Kyle, those settings only partially work.

The logged in free group/subscribers can view the paid group/subscribers emails but are unable to view members of the same group/subscribers which is working now as required.

BUT

The logged in paid group/subscribers can view the paid group/subscribers emails but not the free group/subscribers which they need to be able to be view.

As mentioned the only email addresses that need to be hidden are the free group/subscribers from the same group.

I have tried settings within the B. Field visibility by Viewer's Subscriptions but cannot get it to work properly.

Any other setting that you can suggest?

7 years 3 months ago #290567 by krileon
Try combining A and B protection as follows.

A. Field availability by Owner's Subscriptions: Yes, viewer's CB subs control field visibility
Owner Plans controlling field available in profile: YOUR_PAID_PLAN_HERE
Still Available for Profile Owner himself: Yes: profile owner can still view his own field
B. Field visibility by Viewer's Subscriptions: Yes, viewer's CB subs control field visibility
Viewer Plans controlling field visibility by viewer (none means not controlled): YOUR_PAID_PLAN_HERE
Still Viewable for Profile Owner himself: Yes: profile owner can still view his own field

The detailed modes also provide additional parameters that maybe able to help configure your situation. Otherwise just make a Custom HTML field and substitute in the email address then protect the Custom HTML field as needed. This allows having 2 email field displays without unnecessarily storing the field twice in the database.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn