Php 5.6 or 7.1 for new CB install

7 years 1 month ago #292358 by WDW
I realize there is no easy answer to the question of 5.6 or 7.1 as much is dependent upon which extensions to both Joomla and CB.

5.6 and Joomla 3.6.4 are recommended versions at this point in time for CB, though the tech requirements says it has been tested with PHP 7.

Given that PHP 5.6 is out of active support, although security support continues for another 20 months, would it be better to just go ahead and work through issues with PHP 7.1 now, even though that may slow down the building of our new site? Or stick with 5.6 and then tackle upgrade issues when the time comes?

Again - just seeking opinions and feedback. I realize there is no "right" answer. What would you do?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago #292381 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Php 5.6 or 7.1 for new CB install
PHP 7 is still very early in its development cycle. A lot of extensions I wager will not 100% work with it. We've still a few bugs with PHP 7 due to depending on Guzzle API library for HTTP requests. We've already made plans to move our minimum PHP version to 5.6 most likely, upgrade all our dependency libraries, and we'll be able to 100% stable support PHP 7. In short for a basic usage yes PHP 7 with CB is tested working fine, but the more advanced of an install you configure the more likely you are to hit some sort of PHP 7 issue.

Personally I recommend sticking with PHP 5.6. Then clone your install to a PHP 7.1 test environment after everything you want is configured and test to make sure it continues to work fine. If it does it's safe to assume upgrading your live site to PHP 7.1 will be fine. If not then please report any CB related errors you find.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WDW

6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #293831 by notyooagain
Replied by notyooagain on topic Php 5.6 or 7.1 for new CB install
I have installed localhost Xampp with PHP7.1.1 to test and develop a new site using Joomla 3.7 which recommends PHP 7 or 7.1

My current site is Joomla 3.6.5 which is installed on the localhost prior doing the new site and has the latest CB and CBSubs but they both crash when selected in the admin panel with the following error message: Fatal error: Redefinition of parameter $user in F:\NewSite\htdocs\components\com_comprofiler\plugin\user\plug_cbreconfirmemail\cbreconfirmemail.php on line 134

I note you say"The CB Team has been testing Joomla 3.7 with Community Builder and everything is working just fine" so is this just a problem in my setup or something else

Thanks

6 years 11 months ago #293840 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Php 5.6 or 7.1 for new CB install
CB is not 100% PHP 7 compatible yet. We've 3rd party libraries that are not PHP 7 compatible that we can't update until next CB build release where we'll be pushing minimum PHP version 5.6, updating those libraries, and should be able to move development environments, etc.. to PHP 7. I recommend continuing to use PHP 5.6 for now if possible.

My current site is Joomla 3.6.5 which is installed on the localhost prior doing the new site and has the latest CB and CBSubs but they both crash when selected in the admin panel with the following error message: Fatal error: Redefinition of parameter $user in F:\NewSite\htdocs\components\com_comprofiler\plugin\user\plug_cbreconfirmemail\cbreconfirmemail.php on line 134

There is no such usage on line 134. Update CB Reconfirm Email and retry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 11 months ago #293910 by notyooagain
Replied by notyooagain on topic Php 5.6 or 7.1 for new CB install
Thanks for your reply.
Have found the old plugin cbreconfirmemail was published and after deleting this it seems to be all working properly.:blush:
Thanks again

6 years 6 months ago #297665 by statstaff
Replied by statstaff on topic Php 5.6 or 7.1 for new CB install
I have the same issue. Joomla said they will update to 4.0 and it does not work with PHP less then 7. So I changes to PHP 7 and I have same error with CB Reconfirm Email, line 134. I cannot get in my admin site also. My CB Reconfirm Email plagin is up to date, last update. Now, Kyle said no issue in line 134, I just rename plug_cbreconfirmemail to plug_cbreconfirmemail.bak. Now everything works fine. Is it correct way to fix?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.481 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn