CB lists and profiles in multilingual site

6 years 9 months ago #295638 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB lists and profiles in multilingual site
You shouldn't need to duplicate anything in CB as long as you've language plugins that translate everything as needed. So for example during registration if you have a field name of CB_FIELD_USERNAME you'd translate it in both CB language plugins. Only reason to assign a language to a CB menu item or module is if for example you only want that menu item or module visible to users with that language. For menus you may also want to do it for multilingual menu alias shown in the address bar of your browser.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #295646 by mk3
I still don't get it.
I need CB Registration page and CB Login page visible in all menus for all languages.

1) For menu items with CB Registration page - do I need to make a copy of this menu item for each language? If I do so, I can make language associations and alternate and hreflang will appear in the code, as needed. If not (if I use one CB Registration page for all languages), then there would not be any alternate and hreflang in code - that's bad, no?

2) For CB Login - i've tried to use only this menu item for all languages, it was bad:
- no alternate and hreflang in code
- the title CB Login isn't translated , only content is translated

3) Maybe there is a tutorial for all of this?

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #295650 by krileon

I need CB Registration page and CB Login page visible in all menus for all languages.

Then create menu items and modules with language set to all.

1) For menu items with CB Registration page - do I need to make a copy of this menu item for each language? If I do so, I can make language associations and alternate and hreflang will appear in the code, as needed. If not (if I use one CB Registration page for all languages), then there would not be any alternate and hreflang in code - that's bad, no?

No, you do not need to make copies unless you want to. In the case of menu items you would make copies if you want the menu alias to also be multilingual. It's up to you. Modules there's no real reason to unless you want a module to show to one language, but not another.

3) Maybe there is a tutorial for all of this?

CB is no different than any other extension in regards to multilingual support. The only difference is CB has its own language plugins for translating it. Using the Joomla multilingual tutorials linked in a previous reply and again below is sufficient enough for setting up a multilingual site.

docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Setup_a_Multilingual_Site

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #295652 by mk3

But in this case (if I set CB Registration menu item language to ALL) it would be impossible to translate the menu item titles. (The "Registration" text in english menu would also be "Registration" in russian, but it needs to be "Регистрация")

then there would not be any alternate and hreflang in code

What about this?

2) For CB Login - i've tried to use only this menu item for all languages, it was bad:
- no alternate and hreflang in code
- the title CB Login isn't translated , only content is translated

And this?

docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Setup_a_Multilingual_Site

In this tutorial they make a copy of each element for each language...

Google says:

It's a good idea to provide a generic URL for geographically unspecified users if you have several alternate URLs targeted at users with the same language, but in different locales. For example, you may have specific URLs for English speakers in Ireland (en-ie), Canada (en-ca), and Australia (en-au), but want all other English speakers to see your generic English (en) page, and everyone else to see the homepage. In this case you should specify the generic English-language (en) page for searchers in, say, the UK. You can annotate this cluster of pages using a Sitemap file or using HTML link tags like this:

<link rel="alternate" href="http://example.com/en-ie" hreflang="en-ie" />
<link rel="alternate" href="http://example.com/en-ca" hreflang="en-ca" />
<link rel="alternate" href="http://example.com/en-au" hreflang="en-au" />
<link rel="alternate" href="http://example.com/en" hreflang="en" />

I suppose this means the only possible way to do so, is to create duplicates of menu items even for CB lists, modules, etc.....
(This is written here about hreflang: support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077?hl=en )
And also as I stated it in this post: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/146-general/237010-solved-multilanguage-cb-where-are-the-alternate-and-hreflang

6 years 9 months ago #295678 by krileon

But in this case (if I set CB Registration menu item language to ALL) it would be impossible to translate the menu item titles. (The "Registration" text in english menu would also be "Registration" in russian, but it needs to be "Регистрация")

No, as I've already explained if you want to translate that information you need 2 menu items. 1 for each language.

What about this?

CB has nothing to do with any of that. Multilingual output is entirely driven by Joomla.

And this?

Same as above. CB has nothing to do with any of that as it's driven by Joomla. Module titles are translated by Joomla.

In this tutorial they make a copy of each element for each language...

As that's the standard procedure for multilingual support.

I suppose this means the only possible way to do so, is to create duplicates of menu items even for CB lists, modules, etc.....

Correct.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

6 years 9 months ago #295682 by mk3

Correct.

I think there was some kind of misunderstandig... :) Because when you said:

and

you do not need to make copies unless you want to. In the case of menu items you would make copies if you want the menu alias to also be multilingual.

I thought there was a way without duplicating menu items.

So as a conclusion:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.856 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn