Install Community Builder without automatically importing all the Joomla users

6 years 6 months ago #297866 by cyiwebuser
Hi,

Great work on CB - am loving it so far.
I have just installed CB onto an existing website which has about 300 users. These are all Joomla users.
Installing CB into this site and its existing users immediately lets me view these Joomla users through the CB 'User Management' page - great.
I assume though that this means that the users have been 'imported' into CB. And it seems that this happened automatically as part of the install process.

The problem is that this imported the Joomla users into CB before I had any chance to setup the 'Name Style' setting (in Joomla Config > General tab) to capture the Joomla name field as two separate parts - first and last name.

I searched the forum and this advises to use the 'Synchronize Users' tool but I realise that this only splits the names for Joomla users which have not already been imported into CB.

So, is there a way to stop this auto-user-import during install or is there a commonly used, robust workaround?

Thanks for reading this and for helping.

Best,

T

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #297869 by krileon

So, is there a way to stop this auto-user-import during install or is there a commonly used, robust workaround?

Nope, you can empty the _comprofiler table and run CB > Tools > Synchronize Users though I guess to force synchronization when ready. Make a backup before doing this.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 6 months ago #297884 by cyiwebuser
Thanks @krileon,

I have tried your suggestion and it appears to work well.

I expect that truncating the comprofiler table is only a viable option if this is done straight after install of CB, when the comprofiler table is empty, i.e. before any changes are made to CB or the (CB) users and other objects it controls.

This way, the other CB database tables (which presumably link to comprofiler, e.g. comprofiler_fields, comprofiler_field_values) will not be left containing records which link to something in comprofiler that was just deleted.

Would you agree?

Thanks again for your help.

T

6 years 6 months ago #297899 by krileon
Correct, do not do that regularly as it will delete all CB related data. It is strictly for forcing initial synchronization again on new CB installs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn