cb-login Error Screen

4 years 2 months ago #316691 by LNorth
cb-login Error Screen was created by LNorth
Is there any way to include the menus on the public area of my web site on the log in screen that appears on user time out etc. From the page ……….mywebsite.co.uk/cb-login.html that appears when the session has timed out and the user tries to select a logged in users menu that is showing before the page is refreshed, some users are complaining that the browser back button does not navigate away from this screen and the only way to get to the back to the site is to close the window and start again. Although I cannot repeat this myself I would prefer the Public menu to be visible. I cannot find anywhere to set the menu assignment for log in and logged in timeout screens. Is there a way to do this or perhaps some code to add?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago #316705 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic cb-login Error Screen
You mean they're trying to access a menu item that isn't accessible except if logged in, but their session has expired? In that case Joomla menu access check is what blocks access and attempts to send to the login page. CBs login page should be able to return them to that menu item after they login. If the menu item is public, but the endpoint isn't accessible unless logged in then it likely will not return them to where they were attempting to go as that's an access permission block and doesn't include the return URL. What CB page are they specifically trying to access while not logged in?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 2 months ago #316707 by LNorth
Replied by LNorth on topic cb-login Error Screen
Hi thank you for replying.
The first part of your reply most accurately describes what is happening. I think some users leave the page open on a logged in screen and view other sites. When they return the full page login screen appears which isn’t a problem if they want to login again but some want to simply continue on the public area of the site and complain they cannot do so without closing the page and reloading from a new one. All of the public menus are fully public without any sub menus that are for logged in users. The only CB ‘page’ available in the public area is the login menu itself, all other pages are article and form based. I personally haven’t found a problem but to appease some users I wanted to know if the public menu could be shown when the login ‘error’ screen is being shown simply to give them an obvious route back to the homepage etc.

To URL is watforddogagilityclub.co.uk if you want to see the public area for reference. If you attempt to login with incorrect details or no details the screen in question is shown albeit from a different circumstance.

4 years 2 months ago #316708 by krileon
Public accessible content shouldn't be presenting a login screen. That would suggest there's an access check behind that content preventing the user from accessing it and requiring login. CB doesn't really have any control over this. Joomla does its menu access checks before the component does any of its endpoint access checks. If it's found the user doesn't have access to a menu item it sends them to the login page (we take over Joomlas login page in this case).

If the menu item is public, but the endpoint isn't accessible to public users then the endpoint will block access either by sending them to the home page or sending them to login; logging in in this case often will not return them to the page they were attempting to access, but this is entirely up to the component as they could send the return parameter in the URL to return them properly.

It sounds like for whatever reason your users think they should still have access to logged in content while not being logged in, which makes no sense from a security standpoint. Maybe just increase the session duration in Joomla global configuration so they won't be logged out so quickly.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 2 months ago #316709 by LNorth
Replied by LNorth on topic cb-login Error Screen
Hi. It’s not that my users think they should still have access while not logged in just that a few seem to think the access to the public area of the site after timeout should be more visible and straightforward. I was just trying to find out if this was possible by showing the public menu on the Login timed out session error screen. I don’t have a problem with the rest of the site or accessibility. I like to keep the login visible throughout the site as it shows a uniform presentation without resizing of the viewing area etc. I think it may be the departure from this that is causing some confusion. If it is not possible to show the menus on the login error screen by something similar to the menu assignment then I shall continue as is.... perhaps with a gentle suggestion that this could be included in a future update.

Thanks for your help and input and for an excellent product.

4 years 1 month ago #316721 by krileon
Sounds like your menu module just isn't configured to display on every page. Either configure it to display on every page or use menu assignment like shown below to ensure it shows on your CB login page menu item, which if doesn't exist you will need to create.

docs.joomla.org/Help39:Extensions_Module_Manager_Menu#Menu_Assignment

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn