CB Blogs plugin Settings issue on a multilingual site

3 years 7 months ago #320202 by wweb
Hello,

I am having some difficulties on how to set the CB Blogs plugin on a multilingual site. I will be using the Joomla Model to store the Blog Posts. On a multilingual site, Joomla suggests the creation of one category for each language. e.g:

Blog (en-GB)
  • About us (en-GB)
  • News (en-GB)
Blogs (fr-FR)
  • A propos de (fr-FR)
  • Atualités (fr-FR)
Blogs (es-ES)
  • Nosotros (es-ES)
  • Noticias (es-ES)

As you can see, each Parent category is assigned to a language.

In this case, which category tree structure (Parent Category) should I use when setting up the CB Blogs plugin to use the Joomla Model? Blog (en-GB), Blogs (fr-FR) or Blogs (es-ES)?

If for example I set the CB Blogs plugin to use the 'Blogs (en-EN)' category, users who have Spanish as their default frontend language will end up plublishing their spanish posts in the English content category 'Blogs (en-EN)'.

How to properly set CB Blogs Plugin on a multilingual site? Any advise?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #320210 by krileon
CB Blogs doesn't allow selection of multiple top level categories. Best I can suggest is to place them all under a single top level category. Example as follows.

Blogs
- About us (en-GB)
- News (en-GB)
- A propos de (fr-FR)
- Atualités (fr-FR)
- Nosotros (es-ES)
- Noticias (es-ES)

Eventually this will be redesigned to just use an Include/Exclude Categories parameter so a top level category won't really matter anymore once redesigned.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 7 months ago #320227 by wweb
Dear krileon,

Thanks for your reply. Well, your suggestion sounds good but it brings up some other questions. I have tested it and here are what I came accros with:

Firstly, on a multilingual website, creating a single category for all the languages and putting in there all the categories of different languages is not considered a good pratice. I have searched the Joomla Forum, many Joomla special are not advising it and they are giving many reasons: category association, organization etc.. Even the Joomla official notes on the installation and settings of a multiliguage wibsite are advising users to create a category for each language.e.g. Blogs (en-GB), Blogs (fr-Fr), Blogs (es-Es) etc.

Still I have tried your suggestion. It kinda work well on the frontend. I created a menu item to Blogs (Language: ALL) and only blogs sub-categories assigned to that language show. e.g. Nosotros (es-ES), Noticias (es-ES) only show if the user is viewing the site in spanish. That's great! That's how it is supposed to work!

Secondly, on the frontend, on the CB Blogs creation page (New Blog), the option (drop-down) to select a category, shows a very long list of categories, all the languages together. It messes up everything, making the site to look not only unprofessional but unorganized and confusing too. It will ruin the user experience to browse the site.

e.g. A website with 4 languages and 10 blog categories each, will have 40 categories listed in that drop-down list.(all the languages mixted up). That's make the category selection difficult. Not all the users are polyglot to figure out the meaning of what is written in each language. Blog Categories were supposed to be shown based on the site language at that moment

- On the Backend (Plugin configuration), there would have been a way to select a root category for each language.
- On the frontend (Blog creation page), Blog Categories were supposed to be shown based on the site language. Only the categories with the language assigned to the site language were supposed to be displayed, while browsing the site on that language.

CB Blogs is one of the brilliant idea that the CB Team came up with and I love it. We just need to impove it and make it more multilingual-ready.

Meanwhile, on the Blog creation page (frontend), any idea on how to show categories of a specific language only when the website is being viewed in that language?

Many Thanks

krileon wrote: Eventually this will be redesigned to just use an Include/Exclude Categories parameter so a top level category won't really matter anymore once redesigned.

Any ETA on this feature?

Thanks

3 years 7 months ago #320233 by krileon
I don't have any solutions for you at this time. CB Blogs was created before multi-lingual support in Joomla really took of. The functionality you're wanting just doesn't exist in it right now, but it's planned. I do not have an ETA for when it will be improved. Our current focus is working on Joomlapolis itself to make the site more user friendly. Will review category include/exclude and language filtering of categories today and see if those would just be quick additions. If they are will try to have them implemented today and possibly also released today.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 7 months ago #320237 by krileon
Implemented support for filtering category dropdown selection on language.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6535

Should be available either today or early next week.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: wweb

3 years 7 months ago #320241 by wweb
Awesome! Thank you so much krileon.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn