Spam registrations bypassing admin approval

10 years 1 month ago #241883 by chrisjclay
Hi,

My client is running a Joomla 2.5.18 site with CB 1.9.1. Joomla registration is disabled, and the CB registration form has a number of required fields.

Over the past week or so, several spammers have somehow registered without filling out the required fields, and they're getting automatically approved for membership even though "Require Admin Approval" is set to "Yes" in CB.

Any idea how they could be getting in? Here's exactly how my client described the problem:

... saw 2 odd looking users -- one with the UserID Lexxywar and the other Raymdqpr -- both users appear to have registered without submitting a Firstname/Lastname or getting registration confirmation.

I've disabled both accounts -- both now filed under "Banned User"

Just had another user login -- this one Maxxwar and found another Loliwar -- all are using an email domain of @gmx.com

Can you take a look at our registration process. Somehow these users are finding an exploit in our site. The are able to register without any of the mandatory Firstname/Lastname etc and are getting automatically approved for membership -- but they should not be...

Any help would be appreciated. I saw another thread with a similar issue but it involved CB Connect, and my client isn't using that extension.

Cheers,
Chris

Clay & Co.
www.clayco.ca/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #244736 by j_day2
Replied by j_day2 on topic Spam registrations bypassing admin approval
Hi

I too have just had a spam registration that seems to have bypassed admin approval. Received the usual email to say that a new user had registered but on closer inspection they were already approved. I don't know how they were able to do this.

Jonathan

9 years 11 months ago #244756 by nant

j_day2 wrote: Hi

I too have just had a spam registration that seems to have bypassed admin approval. Received the usual email to say that a new user had registered but on closer inspection they were already approved. I don't know how they were able to do this.

Jonathan

Most likely you still have Joomla registration on.

9 years 6 months ago #249278 by Walter24
Replied by Walter24 on topic Spam registrations bypassing admin approval
Gentile Nant, anche io ho lo stesso problema tantissimi utenti che si iscrivono al sito e addirittura si loggano senza che io li abbia approvati come mai ?
Riesco ad accorgermene solo perchè ricevo l'Email sui dettagli account

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn