Backend validation turned off still validating

9 years 1 month ago #259870 by KatoKalin
On 2 occasions I have noticed that backend validatio still validates even if turned off.

1. For a birthday field I got a validation error message. However the intended moderation action got completed. The user got saved but remained open. So this was kind of a mix up.

2. I have a name field that is set to required. I cannot save the user from backend with empty field.

I would love to see a "temporary" override button next to the validation error message. This way, you would be able to force saving only once without turning backend validation off completely.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #259874 by nant
[mod note: moved out of Potential Bugs category because report is incomplete according to Read Before Posting sticky]

9 years 1 month ago #259879 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Backend validation turned off still validating
You don´t consider this a bug?

9 years 1 month ago #259883 by nant

KatoKalin wrote: You don´t consider this a bug?

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/147-potential-bug/226964-read-before-posting

If information is incomplete there is no way to even try to reproduce.

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #259908 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Backend validation turned off still validating
So actually you want more information....

For me, it is 100% reproducable.

Set backend validation to off.
Create a user.
Set a min and a max bithday.

Now for the first scenario make sure that the users birthday is no longer in the required range.
Then moderate his profile image and remove it from the backend.
Save the user.
You will get an error message telling you that the users name is not in the required range. But you will notice that the image has been removed.
Now this is 2 bugs: First, backend validation is set to off, so CB should not even complain that the users birthday is out of range. But when it does, it should NOT remove the users image.

For the second scenario set name and first name as required.
Leave them empty.
Try to change a user detail.
Save user
You will receive an error message that name and first name are required.

As said: With backend validation turned to off, there should not be an error message either scenario 1 or 2.
But when there is validation CB should either finish or deny the requested action completely.

9 years 1 month ago #259913 by nant

KatoKalin wrote: So actually you want more information....

For me, it is 100% reproducable.

Set backend validation to off.
Create a user.
Set a min and a max bithday.

Now for the first scenario make sure that the users birthday is no longer in the required range.
Then moderate his profile image and remove it from the backend.
Save the user.
You will get an error message telling you that the users name is not in the required range. But you will notice that the image has been removed.
Now this is 2 bugs: First, backend validation is set to off, so CB should not even complain that the users birthday is out of range. But when it does, it should NOT remove the users image.

For the second scenario set name and first name as required.
Leave them empty.
Try to change a user detail.
Save user
You will receive an error message that name and first name are required.

As said: With backend validation turned to off, there should not be an error message either scenario 1 or 2.
But when there is validation CB should either finish or deny the requested action completely.

Thanks for the extra info.

IMO - everything is working as designed.

I do understand the confusion based on the Parameter name
Fields Validation in User Management (feel free to propose new name).

Two facts that will help:

1. Joomla mandatory user fields and their consequences are immune to this setting. Joomla needs a name, username, email and password - you cannot have a user with this info. This means that you cannot blank out name, email, username and expect things to save in backend.
First name and last name also follow this if the CB configuration is set for such name splitting.

2. Other CB fields are validated but only in relation to the required nature. So if a field is marked as required and the badly named parameter is set to No, then you can save a record in backend having the field set to empty. But if there is a value it will be validated according to that field validation.

The purpose of this parameter is to allow backend admins to quickly create new users without the need to give values to every single CB required field.

Hope this helps.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn