Athletic results management

6 years 3 months ago #301148 by JoeTheBronx
Athletic results management was created by JoeTheBronx
Particular question.
I use CB to administratively manage my running club. We athletes are the registered users and instead of using classic articles to manage the race standings publication, I wanted to use CB.
Of course, the easiest way to input data would be to create different fields for each race we run, with time and points. But as you imagine, it would be very time killing.
So, what about creating maybe a csv and import data all at once? Or do you have other hints or ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago #301174 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Athletic results management
You really need a custom extension or CB plugin for that. Anything else is just going to be a workaround.

As for workarounds you could use CB Activity and just post the results on your stream. You could use CB ProfileBook and post the results on the Wall tab. You could use a textarea field and just post the results 1 race per line. You could use CB Blogs and have each race a blog post. You could use a custom HTML form powered by 3rd party form extension like RSForms.

In the end the best fit would of course be to code something to fit your needs, but you may want to give some of the alternatives a try to see if they're good enough to accomplish what you need. Feel free to use our demo site to test all the alternatives regarding our products.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #301188 by JoeTheBronx
Replied by JoeTheBronx on topic Athletic results management
Yes, at this point, maybe, the best solution, yet dramatic as it must be really managed CAREFULLY is to operate via database.
I mean, after each race I have to export the comprofiler table in CSV, copy the table on my excel file with the race results, enable thru a formula to associate to each name the results in that race and the earned points, then take again the updated CSV and import it into my database again...
Always better than typing results and points athlete by athlete...

6 years 3 months ago #301202 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Athletic results management
You maybe able to automated that operation using CB Auto Actions, but I'm not sure. Sounds like you're just needing to cross reference them to another table that stores race results then output their points values for that race. You maybe able to do that with CB Query Field and not have to manually input anything as you're just write the appropriate queries to grab all their race results and can output it as a table.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoeTheBronx

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn