[#2172] cb subs access problems

13 years 3 months ago #150554 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:[#2172] cb subs access problems

I have checked and rechecked. Beleive me it's only this one module that's miss-behaving. Everything else is working fine. You know, it's a module position I created myself in a commercial template, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Could it be that there's something missing in code somewhere?

I'm not sure. Was able to successfully protect the CBSubs module with a CBSubs plan. So can't say for sure what the cause is on your installation. I recommend starting over with just Joomla + CB + CBSubs in a sub-domain or sub-directory to see if you can rule out some of your issues.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #150562 by mardulia
Replied by mardulia on topic Re:[#2172] cb subs access problems
k- I have a sandbox site I can fool around with-

I do think it has something to do with that module. CB was installed before I made it, everything else on the site was in place when I installed CB, (except CBSubs). I installed something called SetSpecial on the site to kick up ACL and set special for editors and above so our users (who were authors) wouldn't see what I was doing while I was styling this module. This was the only thing on the site that was set to special while SetSpecial was installed. I wonder if SetSpecial rewrote something. Where would I look? And what would I be looking for? This is not the first time I wished I spoke php!

13 years 3 months ago #150566 by krileon
Don't know what further to adivse. We don't debug and fix 3rd party development. Tampering with ACL is very dangerous and the SetSpecial extension you mentioned likely destroyed the ACL responsible for your site and/or module.

Once ACL has been altered it's very difficult to restore. Best way is to take a fresh install and review its ACL database tables and try to repair your existing site based off that comparison.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #150572 by mardulia
Groan. Ouch. I see what you're saying. I posted on their forum. I've also posted on my jug listserve. Oh dear. I am way out of my depth here- or is this one of those teachable moments- groan.

13 years 3 months ago #150573 by krileon
Debugging is a terribly painful process, but is necessary on any website being development. It's just something that consumes massive time. Sometimes more time to develop the site it self (another reason why pretty much no one provides support, except us).

We just simply don't have the time or resources to debug every 3rd party extension. We try of course to work with those who are using "absolute must haves", but even that list is short. Not something against any single user or extension it's just a matter of time.

The easiest approach is to duplicate your site and just start tweaking, uninstalling, etc.. without fear of messing up your real site. This will help you pinpoint the conflicts or problematic extensions.

I've turned my site into a developers resource and plan to add so much more, but you're welcome to review what's currently there.. includes tutorials, guides, and even software suggestions. Link as follows.

www.allmysocials.com/

Learning PHP is highly suggested especially so if intended on customizing the sites experience. You'll simply just never achieve everything you want "out of the box" with any software/CMS unfortunately.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

13 years 3 months ago #150586 by mardulia
ok- I'm stupid. :blush: Just emptied my cache and all is well. Thanks for putting up with me!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds