[SOLVED] Problem with Access Controls not Working

13 years 2 months ago #150652 by jstec
Krileon,

Thanks for the quick response. Per another post, I am going to try a "fresh start". although once the database is clean I probably won't go so far as uninstalling CBSubs. I'm pretty sure this was working once in my installation but broke when I was changing some other things.

Also, I was thinking of something else that might be a contributing factor (and this is one reason I wanted a fresh start). I had re-named some categories, sections, and menu items, plus changed the menu hierarchy. Given that the plans reference these by name for the permissions, could this have gotten things messed up? Presumably not because internally the code would be working off of ID tags, not names/locations? But given how many variables seem to be involved, I wanted to start over and re-build my subscription management system from the ground up.

Once I do this, I will take you up on your offer to look into my system if I still have the issue.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #150665 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Problem with Access Controls not Working

Thanks for the quick response. Per another post, I am going to try a "fresh start". although once the database is clean I probably won't go so far as uninstalling CBSubs. I'm pretty sure this was working once in my installation but broke when I was changing some other things.

As you see fit. I would keep a backup of your previous install before doing so however.

Also, I was thinking of something else that might be a contributing factor (and this is one reason I wanted a fresh start). I had re-named some categories, sections, and menu items, plus changed the menu hierarchy. Given that the plans reference these by name for the permissions, could this have gotten things messed up? Presumably not because internally the code would be working off of ID tags, not names/locations? But given how many variables seem to be involved, I wanted to start over and re-build my subscription management system from the ground up.

Sections, categories, and articles are all referenced by their ID. The name is simply displayed for usability.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #150681 by jstec
Still not working. Just sent PM with login credentials.

Thanks

13 years 2 months ago #150697 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Problem with Access Controls not Working
Have reviewed your installation and it was due to the user not being in a valid usergroup. Public Frontend is just a container and is not a valid usergroup. I've set the user to Registered as they should've been and is now working fine. Please also confirm the "Forum" menu link is now protected for the user.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jstec

13 years 2 months ago #150700 by jstec
Yes, this got me past my current issue, so Thank you, thank you, thank you! I created a paid subscriber, and that account has access to the additional content as expected.

I don't think this was the problem when I hit the wall on the Section Blog Layout issue, though. I say that because I did, at one point, have everything else working as it does now, so I think it was my permuting of the settings trying to get the Section Blog Layout to work where I messed up the usergroup.

Unfortunately, my original Section Blog Layout issue remains. My free plan subscriber still sees the News category that I would like to be for just paid subscribers. If you want to login and look now, there is also another user on a paid plan, test2, with the same password as test1.

But I had an a idea about how to better handle my wish to have a restricted news category -- I can use two menu items, one visible only to free plan members that is a Category Blog Layout of just the free content category, and the other that is the Section Blog Layout that will then include both categories. These two menu items have the same label so they look the same on the menu but they are displayed in a mutually exclusive manner depending on plan access controls.

Yay, should still be able to make my deadline!

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #150707 by jstec
My last idea didn't work either, because of the need to have the "General" category be accessible to anyone who visits the site -- even if they don't have a login ID. So it couldn't go under CBSubs content control or it would tell visitors without login IDs that they needed a subscription. And since it would be public and not under CBSubs content control, it would always show up and then when my paid subscriber logged on we would have two "News" menu items. Not good.

So what I wound up doing was to change the Public "News" Menu item to a Category Content Blog for just the "General" news articles and then create a sub-menu item called "Members News" that only is visible by paid subscribers and that is a Category Content Blog for the restricted news items (under CBSubs control). As an added bonus, if I want to create news articles that are visible to both free and paid subscribers only (in other words, users who login), I can mark the article in the "General" category as 'Registered' so that only logged in users see it. The downside is that I now have to have a sub-menu item that paid subscribers have to click, but this is minor, and I am liking the flexibility I have with the "in between" type of news item (in the "General" category, but only visible to registered users).

So I wanted to get this in the forum in case it benefits anyone in the future. You can go ahead and mark this solved, and thanks again for great support.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn