[SOLVED] Auto Action Activity doesn't post to the activity stream

6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #298281 by fribse2011
Why doesn't the activities I've programmed show up? I have a test user (id 113) that I can play with, so I've set his birthday to today, and I've run the 'users' trigger. And I have an auto action (164) that posts to the activity stream which I've enabled debug on.

I don't see user 113 in the 'failed' conditional list, so my guess is that it is run, but I don't see the 'activity' pop up anywhere, and it doesn't appear in the activity plugin either, it's action 164.
I have other activity actions that doesn't show up either, but I guess if I get that one solved, I can solve the others.
This is what I've entered.
Profile 17 is the user representing the "diving club".

Best regards
Fribse

Frømandsklubben Nikon, www.nikondyk.dk
We're a volunteer driven diving club in Ishøj, Denmark.
Har du brug for en dykkerklub der rummer alle, så kom ned til os.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #298292 by krileon
What do you have "Load" set to? By default it's set to "By Asset Only" and if it is then asset "profile.17" isn't specific enough as every profile activity post the user makes will use that asset. You need a more specific asset like "profile.17.birthday" or set "Load" to "None". Once adjusted retry then check within backend CB Activity > Activity after triggering your action to ensure the action is working.

Also keep in mind changing the activity owner will change the substitution user so [name] will likely be the name of user 17. I suggest just using an @mention usage. If you've latest CB Auto Actions installed you can use [action_user] to get the original action user id so you could do @[action_user] or [cb:userdata field="name" user="[action_user]" /].

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #298313 by fribse2011
Yes Load is set to 'By asset only', I've changed it to None, as I understand it, that will then not check if it was just posted previously.

Hmm, I have no idea how this plugin works, it is very confusing, and the docs are completely amiss on this.
If I enter profile.17.birthday, it congrats user 17 on his birthday, which is the wrong user.
So I've removed the owner, so it is the current user, that makes the right name appear, but then the activity is posted to the users stream, and not user 17's stream, which would be the right place, as it is user 17 posting the congrats for the user?

If I enter nothing in the Asset, nothing is posted.
If I enter profile.[USER_ID].birthday, nothing is posted.
If I enter profile.USER_ID.birthday, things are posted, but the activity shows exactly that, and it's not substituted.

This is very confusing, and getting very complex compared to previously versions.

Best regards
Fribse

Attachments:

6 years 6 months ago #298314 by fribse2011
I really don't understand why I have to give something to the asset, and it can't just read 'profile.17', if I look in the existing activity stream I have a ton of posts where it says profile.75, which are just written directly on the page, why is it necessary to do extra for an automated post?

Best regards
Fribse

6 years 6 months ago #298317 by fribse2011
Ok, so now I've just entered profile.17, and I've set the 'Load' parameter to None.
That seems to work.
So am I to understand that the 'asset' is a field to make the post identifiable, to avoid double posts? Or does it have a deeper meaning?

So the remaining problem is that activities are posted to the users and not to user 17's stream to have the right name appear.
How do I accomplish to have the activity on user 17's stream, but with the users name?

Best regards
Fribse

6 years 6 months ago #298329 by krileon

If I enter profile.17.birthday, it congrats user 17 on his birthday, which is the wrong user.

You set Owner to 17 so it's working exactly as you've configured it.

So I've removed the owner, so it is the current user, that makes the right name appear, but then the activity is posted to the users stream, and not user 17's stream, which would be the right place, as it is user 17 posting the congrats for the user?

The asset and the owner of the activity entry are 2 separate things. For example Owner of 18 and Asset of profile.17 means the user 18 posted on the profile of 17.

If I enter nothing in the Asset, nothing is posted.
If I enter profile.[USER_ID].birthday, nothing is posted.
If I enter profile.USER_ID.birthday, things are posted, but the activity shows exactly that, and it's not substituted.

Asset is mandatory. Without it CB Activity has no idea where to display the activity.

This is very confusing, and getting very complex compared to previously versions.

Suggestions welcomed. The parameters that were available before are still available now. Type, Subtype, Parent, and Item are all just a part of Asset now. It would structure the asset as type.parent.subtype.item. Beyond that it still functions exactly the same. The parameter descriptions have also be significantly improved with asset examples even provided directly in the description.

So am I to understand that the 'asset' is a field to make the post identifiable, to avoid double posts? Or does it have a deeper meaning?

Asset is a descriptor. It describes the source. In your case profile.17 is describing the source of the activity being profile of user 17. This means you can use a more specific asset for a more specific descriptor like profile.17.birthday describes it's the birthday of profile of user 17. This also determines what stream the activity will display on.

So the remaining problem is that activities are posted to the users and not to user 17's stream to have the right name appear.
How do I accomplish to have the activity on user 17's stream, but with the users name?

Set asset to profile.17 and leave Owner as empty. This however is a profile activity. This means it will show on profile.17 AND the Owners profile. If you don't want that behavior you should use a more customized asset like "birthdays" then have a steam that outputs the "birthdays" asset.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn