Bad UX experience within the cb userbase search

6 years 3 months ago #300043 by startup
Hello!

on our site but the same on joomlapolis.com the user is experiencing a bad UX experience during a user search.

Go to www.joomlapolis.com/members and search i.e. all users from San Francisco - just pick the first one. The coming user profile is fine but the user want to go back to the previous search result. But there is no "official" back funcitoniality to come back. So the user will push the back button from the browser and will see a form error which is from UX exeperience very bad because the normal user will not understand anything about the form error.

So any hints to get rid of this? We're using the latest CB and Joomla version.

Best regards
Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago #300065 by krileon
There's no getting rid of it until we redo the userlist search behavior. It is currently a POST. You'd have to modify core code to change it to a GET. It will work with GET, but we do not support core edits and can not advise you regarding them. The userlist form HTML can be found in the below file.

/components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.html.php

However in a lot of cases this cases a far too large GET URL causing search criteria, etc.. to be lost. It was changed to a POST to prevent that issue, but it came at the loss of being able to use a user friendly browser back. It's also noticeable when using the userlist selector, which we've a bug ticket for below and have added browser back note to it as well regarding profile navigation.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6370

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 3 months ago #300128 by startup
Hi Krilion,
thanks for your quick answer. It works with a GET and now we have to deal which problem are more severe. Having a url length limitation of 2048bytes, see the full url or having such a broken ux experience.

But thanks now we have a choice.

Cheers
Frank

6 years 3 months ago #300166 by startup
Hi!

thanks for the answer. It's a pity. For background: we have a community where people primarily look for and connect with other people. And this back button behavior is perceived as a serious 'bug' because our users need search a lot. Do you have a rough estimate by when you might have the time to spend on working to change this behavior? Thank you.

PS or can you think of another workaround than core change to GET we could try?

6 years 3 months ago #300176 by krileon

Do you have a rough estimate by when you might have the time to spend on working to change this behavior?

Nope. Switching the form to GET should be fine for the time being unless you've too many fields causing you to hit URL length limits.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.536 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn