Cookie/Session problem for some users, not all

6 years 3 months ago #300695 by fedorvaneldijk
Cookie/Session problem for some users, not all was created by fedorvaneldijk
I have found a lot posts about the 'Session expired or cookies are not enabled in your browser' problem. However they all seemed to deal with the situation where all users experience this.

I have a situation in which most users are not bothered with this, but some do. There are a bit too many people reporting this per day to blame it on cookie settings on their website.

I have around 30 to 50 new users daily, somehow about 10% reports this problem.

I have turned of caching in Joomla, and I have instructed these users to check their cookiesettings and clear their cache. This did not solve the problem in any of these cases.

Where should I search next?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago #300705 by krileon
Probably using privacy browser extensions like ghostry and blocking all cookies, waiting too long to submit the form causing their session to expire and thus the cookie as well (e.g. navigating to registration and walking away for awhile to come back to it later), or maybe an odd or out of date browser. Without a reliable way to confirm the issue there's not much more I can suggest beyond maybe try increasing session lifetime in Joomla global configuration to see if that helps and be sure not to cache any page with a HTML form on it (typically means you can't use Joomla page caching plugin).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 3 months ago #300835 by fedorvaneldijk
Replied by fedorvaneldijk on topic Cookie/Session problem for some users, not all
I have done some more investigation - session time already is 600 seconds. That should not be too little should it?

I may have narrowed the problem down to Mac Users. As far as I can tell, all reports are from users on Macs, with different browsers. But I must admit, this is just about 10 users that I was able to get this information on.

Problem occured on browsers with no plugins, even on fresh installed browsers...

6 years 3 months ago #300837 by fedorvaneldijk
Replied by fedorvaneldijk on topic Cookie/Session problem for some users, not all
...today a few new cases, al Mac users. And I can confirm it is not on all Macs. I have a OSX10.11.6 (El Captain) that has no trouble...

6 years 3 months ago #300871 by krileon
What browsers were the users using? Have they tried different browsers? Where exactly are they seeing this? Just registration? Login? Profile edit? etc..

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 3 months ago #301030 by fedorvaneldijk
The only reports are from the registration page.

And most of them have tried different browsers. Safara, Chrome and Firefox all have this problem...

The versions of MacOS are all different... and I have confirmed that it is not happening to 100% of the users. As far as the users can tell, their browsers have no plugins.

I must say that I did not get any reports since about a week... but traffic has been slower than it was a week ago.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 2.973 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn