[#7225] Accessibility Issues with 2.2.0 and Latest Joomla Release for Administrators

5 years 8 months ago #306141 by irwinb
Hi,

I've noticed that after the latest build that I was able to download that you almost have it fixed. With both NVDA and JAWS however there is no feedback as to whether or not an item in these lists are selected or not. Perhaps adding a check box beside the items it would alert us to whether or not the item is selected?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #306159 by krileon
I tested with NVDA and was given feedback perfectly fine using arrow key navigation. What is it saying for you? Below is the speech log from NVDA reading out the Sorting dropdown.

Single Select:
username combo box expanded
list expanded
Fields list
list
username 5 of 118
email 4 of 118
lastname 3 of 118

Multiselect:
list
--- Select Fields (CTR/CMD-Click: Multiple) ---  edit  has auto complete
blank
list  expanded
firstname  1 of 78
lastname  2 of 78
lastname   

The final lastname in the above and below is the read out of a selection. When navigating back to it it outputs the following to inform me of selected values.

list with 2 items
lastname

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 8 months ago #306172 by irwinb
Hi,

I have a list called Members List. When I go to Lists to edit this lists settings, I am referring to the drop down called Usergroups. It will read the contents of the list but not signify whether or not which ones are selected or how to select one to add it to the list. Does this make senese?

5 years 8 months ago #306176 by krileon
It's not supposed to tell you how to select something. It only reads out that you're in a combo box, what is available for selection, and what you've selected as I've shown above with the speech log. As it's a select input usage you use arrow keys to navigate up and down and enter to select a value as you would with non-select2 select fields.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 8 months ago #306177 by irwinb
I understand what you are saying, however it isn't telling me that I have selected the item at all. It just reads the list. If I enter on anything it doesn't tell me that I've selected it. So, if I scroll down the list how am I suppose to know what is or isn't selected? Either I am not getting the same feed back with JAWS that you are getting or something is different in your test environment. Do you by chance have a place for me to access the test enviroement so we can be looking at the same thing? I don't want to be a pest.

5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #306181 by krileon
I do not have JAWS. I am only able to test with NVDA. It's possible JAWS is not reading out the same as NVDA and there's really nothing I can do about that. All backend select elements are built the same so it doesn't matter which you test as long as you're testing them with their search inputs as those are select2 usages. The first string of text read out should be what you have selected. Even when a multiselect isn't a select2 usage it simply reads out the following when tabbing to it.

list
Public  2 of 11

So a standard multiselect doesn't indicate what is selected unless it's on element focus. The select2 multiselect usage will say the following when focusing the element.

list with 4 items
firstname
lastname
email
edit  has auto complete

As you can see it's reading out what is selected perfectly fine. Sorry, I don't know what more to suggest. You may need to consider altering core CB to better fit your needs if its current accessibility isn't enough. I don't know what further accessibility attributes to add to the elements to output the results you're expecting.

Also note Joomla jQuery Chosen usages will cause the same issues CBs select2 were causing if the search input is present. It was the search input breaking things. We've changed from select2 to a fork called selectwoo designed to improve accessibility. You can report potential issues below or suggest improvements as well.

github.com/woocommerce/selectWoo

You can disable select2 usage in backend entirely with the below change forcing the elements to just be standard browser select elements.

IN: libraries/CBLib/CBLib/AhaWow/View/RegistryEditView.php
ON: Line 4853
$filterSelect			=	$node->attributes( 'filteringselect' );
TO:
return;
$filterSelect			=	$node->attributes( 'filteringselect' );

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn