Range slider custom field

5 years 7 months ago #306940 by e-volve
Range slider custom field was created by e-volve
Hi,

Is it possible to create range sliders as a custom field?

Or build range sliders with bootstrap and Community Builder "grabs" the value?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 7 months ago #306943 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Range slider custom field
We have no range fieldtype. Best I can suggest is using a jQuery plugin to turn an integer field or text field into a range slider, which just sets its value into that integer or text field. That should work as far as storage is concerned. You can load your jQuery plugin or custom JS in general on registration and profile edit pages using onAfterUserProfileEditDisplay and onAfterRegisterFormDisplay triggers in CB Auto Actions with a Code action.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 8 months ago #313181 by ericmuc
Replied by ericmuc on topic Range slider custom field
Would be very good, if a range slider would be on your list of new extensions! That is often used nowadays and I am missing that painfully here.

4 years 8 months ago #313188 by krileon
Have added a feature ticket to note improvements for core fieldtypes and added mention to review implementing a range fieldtype.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7620

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ericmuc

4 years 6 months ago #314188 by ericmuc
Replied by ericmuc on topic Range slider custom field
Hi, I saw, that an "range slider" will not be implemented: forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7620
Please let me add, that in many websites this function is used today and that I am still missing that. Here two user cases:

"double range slider" (2 values, min and max)
User added field-x = 300
Search have a range slider which can be used max from 100 - 1000 and with choosen 100 - 500 the user with 300 will be shown

"single range slider" (1 value)
User can add in field-x with a range slider the right value (easier)

Could you check, what is possible with CB and what could you implement in the future?
Thanks.

4 years 6 months ago #314199 by krileon
A range slider is not planned at this time. It's extremely non-user friendly. They are a nightmare to use on touch devices. We've found little to not use for them given our Integer and Decimal fields are proper HTML5 number input types which are user friendly across every device. Any time a slider is used for proper UX it needs to also have number fields accompany it which basically defeats the point in having a slider in the first place and increases the complexity by outputting 3 inputs instead of 1 or 2.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn