[#7588] CB Activity showing everything of connections only?

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #312715 by Vorak
Hello,

For quite some time now, I have noticed that the CB Activity plugin varies in what it shows. Sometimes it shows alot of recent activity, other times it only shows activity from some months ago. All while I did not change any settings.

So I was wondering, what settings should I use when I want:
- To show ALL activity (or at least, all activities I configured that I want for the plugin to display)
- But ONLY of those people I am connected with + my own activities (so by default, nothing from people I am not connected with)

Right now, I have menu links set to CB Plugin > CB Activity, with the following parameters:
- Action: Recent Activity
- Tab activity: Asset: connectionsonly (everything else in that tab is set to "global" or left empty, only "locations" is disabled)

I think most other settings are just default or "global". I did just now find, in the general plugin settings under Plugin Management, in the tab "follow" the setting "connected" which was set to disabled and which I have just now changed to "enable".

If I need to change any of these settings, or if I need to look at other settings in particular, can you please let me know?
Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #312718 by krileon

Right now, I have menu links set to CB Plugin > CB Activity, with the following parameters:
- Action: Recent Activity
- Tab activity: Asset: connectionsonly (everything else in that tab is set to "global" or left empty, only "locations" is disabled)

That's an invalid combination. Don't supply an Asset to the Recent Activity view. It will try to override it to "all". Use the "Activity" action instead. Currently your asset is trying to filter the activity to only users you are connected with.

So I was wondering, what settings should I use when I want:
- To show ALL activity (or at least, all activities I configured that I want for the plugin to display)
- But ONLY of those people I am connected with + my own activities (so by default, nothing from people I am not connected with)

That's just the My Activity display. Same as what you'd see when viewing your own profile Activity tab. Empty the Asset parameter and change Action to My Activity for it to display as such.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 9 months ago #312723 by Vorak
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

When I have the plugin set to "Recent Activity", I see recent activities. Such as a profile picture change of a user in my connections.

When I change to "My Activity", this is no longer visible and the most recent activity shown is from 3 months ago (and next a post of myself from 7 months ago). This is the result I have had in the past too. I have emptied out the asset parameter, but this makes no difference.

So apparently, the "My Activity" setting does not show me all activity of all my connections.

I have tried to set it to "Activity" but the result is exactly the same: the same activity from 3 months ago, and the same post of my own from 7 months ago. Whether I have something filled out in the assets or not, does not seem to make a difference.

Perhaps I am overlooking something else?

4 years 9 months ago #312734 by krileon

When I have the plugin set to "Recent Activity", I see recent activities. Such as a profile picture change of a user in my connections.

Recent Activity shows all activity. It is not limited to showing only your activity.

When I change to "My Activity", this is no longer visible and the most recent activity shown is from 3 months ago (and next a post of myself from 7 months ago). This is the result I have had in the past too. I have emptied out the asset parameter, but this makes no difference.

Then are you sure you're connected to users? My Activity doesn't show activity of users connected to you, but of users you are connected to. If they're not in your Connections tab as a user you're connected to then they won't be considered for display in My Activity. This all works perfectly fine on our demo site below.

demo.cbdemosites.com/

Login as Susan then view the Activity tab on your profile (this is My Activity) or My Activity menu item under Add-ons > CB Activity. You will see Susan's connections posts there (Demo User and Andrea).

So apparently, the "My Activity" setting does not show me all activity of all my connections.

It does. My guess is you've connections configured incorrectly. For example if you're not using cross connections it's possible someone is connected to you, but you are not connected to them. It's also possible your connection request to that user was never approved as it does not show their activity unless the connection has been completed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 9 months ago #312740 by Vorak
Hello,

I have double checked and yes, I have cross-connections enabled. I also use the plugin that automatically sends in my name a friend request to any newly registered user. Since the vast majority of new users accepts this request, I am in their connections and they are in mine.

So just now, I checked again.
I set the activity wall to "Recent Connections". A post appears from user M (I'm abbreviating for privacy sake), from 4 hours ago.
I go to M's profile, and I am listed in her friends list. Since I use cross-connection, she is also listed in my friends list.

Now I switch to "My Activity".
The post from M is no longer showing. Only a post I made myself 10 hours ago, after that a post from 3 months ago, then 7 months ago.

Seeing that I am cross-connected with almost any user on my website, I should be seeing alot more than just a handful of posts per year. In fact, when I use "recent activity" I see plenty of activities such as "(user) is connected with (my username)" - as it should be, because frequently new users create an account and accept my automatic connection request. Only that in "My activity", the last such "is connected with" activity is from 3 months ago.

I'm not saying there's a bug in the Activity plugin or anything. I was thinking it is probably just something I configured incorrectly. The activity plugin is very powerful and therefore its settings also very expansive; this is a good thing, but it means it is easier to overlook something. Hence why I'm asking for advice on where I should look for the right settings, or which settings you recommend for what I need, as I haven't been able to figure it out myself.

In CB's configurations tab "connections", the following is set:
- Enable connections: yes
- Display type: public
- Display connection path: yes
- Mutual consent: yes
- Notification method: PMS + email
- Cross connections: yes
- Connection types: (I have 4 different ones listed)

As for the menu item pointing to the CB plugin Activity:
- Action: Recent Activity (for the moment, I have tried switching to My Activity as explained above)
- In the tab "activity", "asset" is empty as per your instructions before. Everything else in this tab is either empty or set to "same as global". Actions is set to "disable", as is "locations".

As for the settings in the Activity plugin itself, it's too much to list all of them, but here's what I think is relevant under the tabs Parameters > Activity:
- Tab "display": Direction "down", auto update "disable", auto load "disable", global "enable", pinned "enable"
- Tab "create": create "enable", create access "registered", create connected access "enable", create system access "enable", message limit "400", collapsed "enable".
- Tab "parser": everything set to "enable" except for BBCode
- Tab "actions": actions "enable", message limit "100", include "all", exclude "none"

If I need to look at any other settings I did not list here, please let me know.
Any help is appreciated, I'm sure it's just an issue of something I overlooked myself.

Thanks.

4 years 9 months ago #312747 by krileon
My Activity is the same as the Activity tab on your profile. Do you see their posts there? This all works fine in my tests and on our demo site. Try deleting the menu item and recreating it. My Activity just forces the Asset to "user.connections,following"; you can try using an Activity menu item then adjust its Asset parameter to that. If that works then something is overriding the asset of the My Activity menu item for some reason.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn