[#7641] Cb Activity filtering to be made user specific

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #313335 by timstohr
Hi Kyle,
Sorry for the long post but I would like to explain the thought behind the feature request.

Nowadays, social networks are sorted by algorithms and AI that analyse your behaviour. That includes the newsfeed (which is at the end what activity is, kind of). That means your view of the world is basically controlled by algorithms.

I want the users to get back an opinion by being able to control again what they see in their newsfeed on my site. That means that the user should be able to set the filter of what he/she sees on the newsfeed per profile and forever (unless he wants to change it).

Here is how I had envisioned it:
_You have a field where the user can set what filter he wants to have as standard. This should be a multiselect (obviously)
_Each field can be set to a certain module ID. This is to ensure that if there are several CB Activity modules or streams, the user can filter each activity stream using a field.

Thinking about it, you could "easily" introduce a different type of field which then controls a user defined stream.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #313345 by krileon
The Asset parameter supports substitutions. You should be able to create a field for them to select from a list of assets and substitute that field into the Asset parameter of your stream. Filters themselves also support substitutions as well.

I believe in short you just want a means for users to select a filter as the default. Have added a feature ticket to review how to best approach implementing such a feature. Probably easiest approach is to just remember what they last selected using a simple browser cookie to avoid having additional database storage. This would persist with browser session and if they don't purge cookies on browser close then will also persist forever. This would also be the fastest method to implement with maybe being 4-5 lines of code.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7641

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn