[SOLVED] Sorting of Multi-select fields in CB list

4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #317335 by dklotz
Hi,

I'm using CB to manage participants of an exhibition.
The participants are registered as CB Users and they offer apprenticeships.

On my website there shall be two lists in alphabetical order.
One list shows the participants. This is the easy part.

However, there shall be a second list that shows the apprenticeships and next to it the names of the participants who offer the respective career.
So far, I created a Drop Down Multi-select field for the apprenticeships, to make sure the spelling and denomination is the same in all entries in my database.

My question: Is there a way to display the Multi-select field content in alphabetical order and connect them to the participants?
I know, this sounds quite complicated. So I try to explain in an example:

Hope you see what I mean. There must be a list of Apprenticeships in alphabetical order where I can click an entry to see the contact data of the related company.
Could this be done with a plugin like "CB Query Filed" or "CB Auto Actions"?

Would be great to get some hint how to solve this problem.
I'm really stuck at the moment...

Thank you for your time and attention.

Regards,
Dirk
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 3 weeks ago #317346 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Sorting of Multi-select fields in CB list
You basically have a list within a list situation as you want to list the different apprenticeships then list the companies associated with that apprenticeship. The easiest way to do this is just have a userlist that lets you filter by apprenticeship then users can just select 1 or more apprenticeship they're looking for and it'll list the companies associated with the selected apprenticeships. By default it'd just show all apprenticeships. Basically your existing userlist is sufficient for that case.

Your other usage just wouldn't be scale-able. What happens if 100 companies offer apprenticeship to something? It becomes a giant page scroll displaying that. I suppose you could implement it using a custom database query in a CB Query Field, but I don't really recommend that.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 3 weeks ago #317357 by dklotz
Replied by dklotz on topic Sorting of Multi-select fields in CB list
Hi Krileon,

thank you very much for your reply!

So, if I get you right, I have to create a separate userlist with a filter for each apprenticeship?
Or is there an option to let the visitor define the filter instead of doing a search?

Best regards,
Dirk

4 years 3 weeks ago #317368 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Sorting of Multi-select fields in CB list
Your users should just be able to search the apprenticeships field as long as the field is configured to be searchable. You could do both I suppose. Have 1 userlist that shows everything like you currently have then have other userlists with 1 apprenticeship per list filtered (see Filters tab of your userlist to filter by your field).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dklotz

4 years 3 weeks ago #317390 by dklotz
Replied by dklotz on topic Sorting of Multi-select fields in CB list
Thanks, we solved it with separate userlists. Works nice. :)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn