send password reset token in password recovery email

4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #317384 by pdolezel
Hello,
I've searched high and low, and didn't see an existing solution (sorry if I've missed it).

The password reset email sends both the username and password, which is a huge no-no from security perspective.
Is there a way to send a password reset token/link (similar to Joomla's native password reset) instead?

This is a question of not only security, but also usability. The machine-generated password is of no value to the users as the vast majority of them will want to reset it to something different than the machine-generated one. So why not simply take them to the password reset page right away rather than forcing them to log in, then actually look where they can change their password.

Any way to achieve this please?

Thanks a ton

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 2 weeks ago #317403 by krileon

The password reset email sends both the username and password, which is a huge no-no from security perspective.

We're aware, but it requires a rewrite of forgot login so it has not been done yet. The password sent is randomly generated however so there's no issues regarding plaintext storage at the very least. The user is expected to change their password.

Is there a way to send a password reset token/link (similar to Joomla's native password reset) instead?

No, not until we've redesigned the forgot login behavior.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 2 weeks ago #317424 by pdolezel
Thanks, @krileon, is there a timing on this change? Best

4 years 2 weeks ago #317427 by krileon
I do not have a time frame for the forgot login redesign.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 2 weeks ago #317428 by pdolezel
Thanks again, @krileon. One last post on this topic please.

Any hint you can give me on which file I could change the reroute from Joomla's native Password reset and Username reminder pages to /cb-forgot-login? I realize CB cannot recommend or endorse this, and that I am on my own if I make these changes. I'm a decently experienced Joomla user so I'm comfy with making these changes every time I upgrade CB.

Thanks a bunch!

4 years 2 weeks ago #317431 by krileon
You can disable the rerouting entirely within our system plugin in Extensions > Plugins.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn