CB Gallery/ CB Activity on mobile - Photo upload

3 years 9 months ago #319302 by timstohr
Hi Kyle,
There is a "quite" big bad user experience when uploading photos over mobile. Here I have tried to summarise the details:
Computer: You can see the upload bar. The user KNOWS that he has to stay on the page while the picture is uploading.
Mobile: The user CANNOT see the upload bar. He will think either that a) the site is broken because nothing happens or b) that the photos have been uploaded because the name of the picture will be there.

Solution: Either show the uploading bar just like on computer(best) OR show a blinking button that says "Please wait while Media is uploading".

Biggest problem: When uploading a 100 MB video on a slow connection on mobile, it takes absolute ages and the user will just press on POST and then wonder why it has not attached the video. The user does not make the connection between the uploading time and the navigation away from the site.

Second solution (not sure if that will work): Upload in background including deferred posting of Activity.

Please look at the attached pictures to see what I mean.

I hope I was able to properly show what the problem was.

Kind regards,

Tim
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago #319303 by timstohr
Just looked up background sync and this may be useful I am guessing. developers.google.com/web/updates/2015/12/background-sync

3 years 9 months ago #319308 by krileon

Solution: Either show the uploading bar just like on computer(best) OR show a blinking button that says "Please wait while Media is uploading".

The progress display just needs to be redesigned entirely. That's an old style of displaying things using tables so it's wrong usage of a table. Have added a feature ticket to replace the display with a grid display so it can show on mobile and also show upload previews of images being uploaded.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/8069

Second solution (not sure if that will work): Upload in background including deferred posting of Activity.

This is unlikely to ever be implemented, sorry. You need a service worker for background sync to work. Most of our users, and probably even yourself, do not have the hosting capacity to be running a service worker. Background sync is also barely available today and is mostly used as part of android phone API.

caniuse.com/#feat=background-sync

Due to limited browser support it would be a waste of resources and time to implement this right now. Maybe in a few years, but for now it's not realistically doable. The user will need to just sit there and wait while it uploads the same as they'd have to do with youtube, etc..

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 9 months ago #319310 by timstohr
Uh I had thought that they had implemented it already on Safari and iOS webview... OK will see if I can maybe implement it inside the webview app for android but am not confident...

I think that it will be far easier to stomach the wait if the user can actually see the upload on mobile...

3 years 9 months ago #319312 by krileon

Uh I had thought that they had implemented it already on Safari and iOS webview... OK will see if I can maybe implement it inside the webview app for android but am not confident...

iOS likely has their own API. All of which is too early to be using in a browser environment. Those APIs are primarily meant and designed for mobile apps in native environments. In short you are unlikely to ever see this implemented, sorry.

I think that it will be far easier to stomach the wait if the user can actually see the upload on mobile...

That will be addressed with the redesign of the upload progress.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 1 month ago #323266 by timstohr
Hi Kyle, more and more of my users are complaining about the upload function "not working" (in their eyes) because they cannot see the upload bar but straight away navigate to another window.
Since more and more people are using the website exclusively on mobile, it means that people are just ditching the website because they say it does not work...

Would it be possible for you to have a look at the ticket you mention above soonish?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn