Cannot remove members from groups

3 years 7 months ago #320195 by AlanJones
Replied by AlanJones on topic Cannot remove members from groups
When I changed the item to an all groups item it began to work again.

The reason why I am using Joomla pages to display individual groups is so that we can have joomla pages with URLS that are really long and confusing.

the URL now looks like this /home/administrators/16-ministries/80-administrators

Also, it was the easiest way to link to individual groups from the Joomla main menu.

Is there a way we can continue to link to groups from the main menu and have nice short URL's?

Own Your Own Community!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #320196 by AlanJones
Okay, so when I turn off Search Engine friendly URL's in Joomla the functionality returns to normal.

Own Your Own Community!

3 years 7 months ago #320207 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Cannot remove members from groups
Create a top level Joomla menu item to All Groups or All Categories page. Ideally with an alias of something like "communities" or "groups". This should give you the below URL structure.

DOMAIN/MENU_ALIAS/16-ministries/80-administrators

It won't get any shorter than that. Joomla needs to know where to send users and that's what the menu alias helps with as it tells Joomla the component, which also tells CB what plugin. The "16-ministries" tells CB GroupJive the category and "80-administrators" tells CB GroupJive the group. These are all mandatory SEF parts to reach the group.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 7 months ago #320215 by AlanJones
As far as SEF, that makes sense.

What confuses me is why the page type
Joomla > CB > Plugin > Group > ID
even exists.

Since once you create a group like that it changes the URL to whatever you put inside the alias field, it breaks that groups moderation functionality. Once that menu is created, even if you clikc on the group from the "All Groups" Tab, it defaults to the new URL you created.

If that is the case, what is a solid use case for a menu item like that?

Own Your Own Community!

3 years 7 months ago #320216 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Cannot remove members from groups
It's fine to create a Joomla menu item to a specific group, but you also need a top level menu item for GJ in general. This is due to our Itemid parsing behavior grabbing the closest available menu item for SEF. I can make the URLs more strict, but then that brings other issues of not being able to have a top level All Groups menu item influence the SEF of group URLs. It's an annoying situation, but it's how things are for now until we basically redo how we detect Itemid and having fallback behavior for Itemid parsing.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 7 months ago #320219 by AlanJones
That makes sense.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

For example, on the menu menu I created a top level menu item called ministries.

Under is I put a list of grpupjive menu items linking to specific item IDS. When I changed the ministries menu item type to all groups. It did not change the functionality.

The only way I can successfully link to an exact group is buy making a link to the auto generated URL of the group once all other menu items are unpublished except the "all groups" menu item.

Own Your Own Community!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn