Integrating profile avatar/pics with photo albums or galleries seamlessly

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #246612 by sylvanr
I am using CB with Joomla 3 on a Mac OS 10.9.3, with MAMP on a localhost. I have spent the last couple of months getting familiar with CB and have 4 new questions I am hoping someone can answer:

1. When I try to make any changes in the CB configuration parameters, it does not save the change the first time I click “Save.” I have to keep going back to the parameter, make the change again and click “save” again several times before the parameter will actually change and be saved. It seems like some kind of a bug to me and I am wondering if there is a way to fix it?

2. When a user uploads a pic/avatar to their CB profile, it uploads two copies to joomla/images/comprofiler. In Facebook, when you upload a photo as your profile pic, it is saved in a user folder called “profile pictures.” Then you can change the photo used for the profile from that profile pictures folder. Is there any way to do that with the profile pics uploaded to the profile in CB? As it is, the user is only given the option to replace the former avatar/pic rather than add more to an avatar/pic folder? Is there a way for the user to have multiple avatar/pics from which to choose as on Facebook?

3. I installed the add-on, CB Profile Gallery, thinking this might resolve the problem I mentioned above in #2. When I click on the Profile Gallery tab, it says “No Items published in this profile gallery,” so it is obviously not accessing the profile pic/avatar previously uploaded with the “Update your image” in the Edit menu of the CB User Profile.

4. When I try the option in CB Profile Gallery to “Submit New Gallery Entry,” I get the error message, “Gallery repository could not be created! Please notify system admin.” I AM the system admin and have no clue what to do here???

Besides the profile pic, I would like all pics uploaded through CB Image field types to be also accessible in albums as in Facebook or other social sites. I see there are multiple photo and media plug-ins available for Joomla and CB and I have tried downloading free ones and have actually purchased several as well. I can’t seem to get any to access pics in the joomla/images/comprofiler folder where the user profile avatar is uploaded. I don’t want users to have to upload their pics twice- once to their profile pic/avatar and then again to a separate gallery. When the user uploads a profile pic/avatar, it should also be saved in a gallery too.

It is critical to the site that I am building that the user can upload various media to their profiles and then access that media in albums or galleries as well. For now, I would just be happy to get the photo/avatar situation resolved. The user should have the option of uploading more than one profile/avatar to their profile folder and be able to change those pics from time to time. Eventually, I will probably want to have similar options for video and audio files but for now, just focusing on the pics/avatars. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #246658 by krileon

1. When I try to make any changes in the CB configuration parameters, it does not save the change the first time I click “Save.” I have to keep going back to the parameter, make the change again and click “save” again several times before the parameter will actually change and be saved. It seems like some kind of a bug to me and I am wondering if there is a way to fix it?

CB 1.x writes the config to the below file.

administrator/components/com_comprofiler/ue_config.php

There's no reason for it to take multiple saves unless there's a fatal error stopping the writing process. Enable debug mode and maximum error reporting in Joomla global configuration then attempt to save to see if any fatal errors are present.

Is there any way to do that with the profile pics uploaded to the profile in CB?

No.

As it is, the user is only given the option to replace the former avatar/pic rather than add more to an avatar/pic folder?

Correct, the old image however is not kept if they upload a new image.

Is there a way for the user to have multiple avatar/pics from which to choose as on Facebook?

No.

3. I installed the add-on, CB Profile Gallery, thinking this might resolve the problem I mentioned above in #2. When I click on the Profile Gallery tab, it says “No Items published in this profile gallery,” so it is obviously not accessing the profile pic/avatar previously uploaded with the “Update your image” in the Edit menu of the CB User Profile.

It's for a profile image gallery. It has nothing to do with Avatar display.

4. When I try the option in CB Profile Gallery to “Submit New Gallery Entry,” I get the error message, “Gallery repository could not be created! Please notify system admin.” I AM the system admin and have no clue what to do here???

Sounds like it didn't install correctly. You'll need to ensure the below folder exists. If not you'll need to create it or try re-installing CB Profile Gallery to see if it can create it.

/images/comprofiler/plug_profilegallery

Besides the profile pic, I would like all pics uploaded through CB Image field types to be also accessible in albums as in Facebook or other social sites.

CB has no such feature.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 4 months ago #253264 by bmowrey
I too had this issue and somehow, the folder plug_profilegallery was not created on install. Creating this folder solved the problem B)
images/comprofiler/plug_profilegallery/(userfolder)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn