Fixed Date, Prorated Subscription Plan

9 years 7 months ago #248960 by jamesmoeller
Fixed Date, Prorated Subscription Plan was created by jamesmoeller
I'm hoping you can provide a consolidated reply covering fixed date, prorated subscription plans. These two topics seem to be addressed more separately in the following posts.

Fixed end date for a free trial: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/226102-fixed-end-date-for-a-free-trial#247568

CBSub Presale question: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/87-presales/223536-cbsub-presale-question

Prorated Subscription Setup: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/277-cbsubs-gpl-support/223573-prorated-subscription-setup#237691

Fixed Calendar date subscription plan: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/255-developer-members-support/223176-fixed-calendar-date-subscription-plan#235690

Pre-sales - Fixed end subscription plan regardless of subscription date on CB Subs: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/87-presales/222978-pre-sales-fixed-end-subscription-plan-regardless-of-subscription-date-on-cb-subs#234989

In my application I have memberships that cover fixed date periods of time (not completely calendar year), i.e. Sept 1 - Dec 15. I need a membership subscription that will cover the specific dates and switch the Joomla User Group to a special level while the user is subscribed and then switch the User Group back when the subscription expires. In addition, I need to be able to prorate the subscription price based on date, i.e. how much of the subscription period remains on the date a user signs up...so someone signing up on Nov 1 pays less then someone signing up on Sept 1.

It sound like most of this is possible, but I'm a bit confused as to how to set it up. If I use a calendar year subscription plan, can I then set a fixed expiration date of Dec 15? Is the prorating capability always based on calendar year or can it be set on specific date ranges? Are SQL Actions needed to set this up correctly...i.e. for displaying the prorated discounted plan that depends on when the user signs-up? Maybe an overview reply on how to do this would be best.

Thanks,
Jim Moeller

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 7 months ago #249020 by jamesmoeller
Replied by jamesmoeller on topic Fixed Date, Prorated Subscription Plan
I've done a bit more work here and I believe I have the correct approach for my situation.

First, in regard to the fixed date subscription periods, if I set the Regular Validity Duration of the plan to "This Calendar Year" and then set the plan Start-Date-of-Calendar-Year to Dec 16th, and also set the plan renewable to "Non-renewable", that should effectively set the expiration date of the plan to Dec 16th, correct? To manage the start date of the plan I just need to manage when the plans are published, i.e. when subscribers can sign-up. Sound reasonable?

Second, in regard to the Joomla User Group, since I'm using Joomla 3.3.3, when I define custom User Groups and use the Access Level Settings to set the Joomla User Group to one of those custom groups during CBSubs sign-up, CBSubs will automatically drop the user back down to the "Registered" User Group when the plan expires....Yes? Do my custom User Groups need to be structured within Joomla as having "Registered" as the parent in order for this to execute properly...i.e. in order for users to be automatically dropped back down to Registered when the plan expires?

Third, in regard to prorating the plan price depending on how much remaining time exists in the current plan period, I can set up promotions to trigger at various dates through the subscription period and thus bring the plan price down as we progress through the plan period.

Have I interpreted all this correctly?

Thanks,
Jim Moeller

9 years 7 months ago #249022 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Fixed Date, Prorated Subscription Plan

can I then set a fixed expiration date of Dec 15?

No, you don't set the expiration date, but you set the start date. Meaning you'd need to set the start month and day to Dec 16th and it'll expire within 1 year on the 15th.

Is the prorating capability always based on calendar year or can it be set on specific date ranges?

Prorating is based off the remaining time on their subscription. It's a value calculated from their stored expiration date.

Are SQL Actions needed to set this up correctly...i.e. for displaying the prorated discounted plan that depends on when the user signs-up?

No, enabling the prorating feature will calculate that and display it automatically.

The best way to get fixed expiration dates is to probably modify the expiration date using CBSubs SQL Actions when the users subscription becomes active.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 7 months ago #249023 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Fixed Date, Prorated Subscription Plan

First, in regard to the fixed date subscription periods, if I set the Regular Validity Duration of the plan to "This Calendar Year" and then set the plan Start-Date-of-Calendar-Year to Dec 16th, and also set the plan renewable to "Non-renewable", that should effectively set the expiration date of the plan to Dec 16th, correct? To manage the start date of the plan I just need to manage when the plans are published, i.e. when subscribers can sign-up. Sound reasonable?

That sounds like it should work. Since you're controlling when the plan becomes available that should give you the control you're needing to limit it to your timeframe.

Second, in regard to the Joomla User Group, since I'm using Joomla 3.3.3, when I define custom User Groups and use the Access Level Settings to set the Joomla User Group to one of those custom groups during CBSubs sign-up, CBSubs will automatically drop the user back down to the "Registered" User Group when the plan expires....Yes?

CBSubs won't remove Registered. So they'll be Registered in addition to whatever the Usergroup your plan assigns. Once they expire it should remove that Usergroup. There's more advanced ways of controlling usergroups using CB Auto Actions and acting on CBSubs triggers though if you need more control.

Do my custom User Groups need to be structured within Joomla as having "Registered" as the parent in order for this to execute properly...i.e. in order for users to be automatically dropped back down to Registered when the plan expires?

It's usually best to structure them under Registered. That allows permission inheritance and overall makes things much easier to configure. Example structure as follows

Public
- Registered
- - Subscriber

Third, in regard to prorating the plan price depending on how much remaining time exists in the current plan period, I can set up promotions to trigger at various dates through the subscription period and thus bring the plan price down as we progress through the plan period.

You should be able to allow CBSubs to calculate this automatically, but yes I suppose you could try using conditioned promotions.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn