Public profile- for unregistered user's

9 years 4 months ago #253523 by sylvanr
I have already been successful at setting up a menu item for REGISTERED users that links to a list of all registered user's that have given permission in the privacy settings to be viewed by other registered user's. I am having trouble setting up a similar list for PUBLIC users to see all the profiles of user's that have given permission in the privacy settings to be viewed by the public. I want those people that have not registered yet to be able to see public profiles which will help them decide if they want to join the site.

Additionally, I would like to have the capability for user's to send a link to UNREGISTERED friends to view their own profiles. I am assuming privacy setting would have to be set to "Public" for that to work? I tried just copying a link for a "public" profile but was unsuccessful. I know there must be a simple way to do that but somehow I am missing it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #253527 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Public profile- for unregistered user's
I assume you're meaning Profile Privacy field from CB Privacy? You should be able to use a Basic filter to compare against the values. Value 99 is private, Value 0 is Public, and Value 1 is Registered Users for example. Please clarify further what you're trying to do as don't understand, sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 4 months ago #253539 by sylvanr
Replied by sylvanr on topic Public profile- for unregistered user's
Yes, I am using CB Privacy. I'm not sure what you mean by using a Basic Filter to compare against the values. I assume that is a capability in creating the list? I will see if I can figure it out but if there is a link or explanation somewhere, that might be helpful.

The other part of the question had to do with sending somebody a link to a "public" profile. Is it possible to email someone a link to a profile which they could look at without having to register?

9 years 4 months ago #253664 by krileon

Yes, I am using CB Privacy. I'm not sure what you mean by using a Basic Filter to compare against the values. I assume that is a capability in creating the list? I will see if I can figure it out but if there is a link or explanation somewhere, that might be helpful.

Edit your userlist and add a basic filter for the Profile Privacy field with an operator of "Equal To" then input one of the values supplied in my previous reply.

The other part of the question had to do with sending somebody a link to a "public" profile. Is it possible to email someone a link to a profile which they could look at without having to register?

You could have a delimiter field with the following substitution for profile URL.

[cb:config param="live_site" /]/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&view=userprofile&user=[user_id]

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 3 months ago #253721 by sylvanr
Replied by sylvanr on topic Public profile- for unregistered user's
You said: "Edit your userlist and add a basic filter for the Profile Privacy field with an operator of "Equal To" then input one of the values supplied in my previous reply."

So I go to CB- List Management andI already have a list I have named "Public Users." I click on that list and open it and click "Filters" and the radio button is on "Basic" and there is a drop down box below that. I click on that and look for a Profile Privacy field and don't see anything by that name? So, I went to CB Field Management and confirmed that I do have a field named "Profile Privacy." I went back to CB Lists, Filters, Basic and looked in drop down box again- the field "Profile Privacy" doesn't show up there?? I clicked on Parameters and for Searchable fields, selected "All searchable fields." This doesn't seem to change anything for Filters.

On the second part of the question, you had said "You could have a delimiter field with the following substitution for profile URL." That was totally confusing to me but I think I didn't make my question clear maybe? All I was asking was whether it was possible to send a link to the read page of a public user profile? Usually, if I wanted to share a website page with a friend, I could just copy the url and send a link. If I do that with CB, and my friend clicks the link, they have to register before they can see the read page of the profile. I was wondering if there was a way or should be a way that the friend could click on the link and see the profile without having to be a registered member?

For instance, if I send this link, www.youtube.com/channel/UCbNZpn3WW9aq60ysh18zX6Q, to a friend, it will take them to my youtube page. They can see the videos I have uploaded without having to register or signing in. I tried the same thing with Facebook and get the message "Profile Unavailable, sorry this profile is not available at the moment. Please try again shortly." I assume that is related to my privacy settings in FB. I would like to have my CB site work more like my youtube page does, in that if I send a link to a public profile, they will be able to read the profile without having to set up an account or logging in. Is that possible?

I'm not sure what a delimiter field is or why I would need another field for the purpose of sending a link? Somehow I am missing something? I am confused about this.

9 years 3 months ago #253827 by krileon

So I go to CB- List Management andI already have a list I have named "Public Users." I click on that list and open it and click "Filters" and the radio button is on "Basic" and there is a drop down box below that. I click on that and look for a Profile Privacy field and don't see anything by that name? So, I went to CB Field Management and confirmed that I do have a field named "Profile Privacy." I went back to CB Lists, Filters, Basic and looked in drop down box again- the field "Profile Privacy" doesn't show up there?? I clicked on Parameters and for Searchable fields, selected "All searchable fields." This doesn't seem to change anything for Filters.

The profile privacy field isn't stored in _comprofiler. Sorry for the confusion. You need to use an Advanced filter to have what you're wanting. Example of how to do this a follows.

( ( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `#__comprofiler_plugin_privacy` AS p WHERE p.`type` = 'profile' AND ( p.`subtype` = '' OR p.`subtype` IS NULL ) AND p.`user_id` = u.`id` AND `rule` = 99 ) = 0 )

The above for example should exclude all privacy users by ensuring they have no profile privacy row with a rule of 99.

If you want to show all users only from a specific privacy value you can use the below.

( ( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `#__comprofiler_plugin_privacy` AS p WHERE p.`type` = 'profile' AND ( p.`subtype` = '' OR p.`subtype` IS NULL ) AND p.`user_id` = u.`id` AND `rule` = 0 ) > 0 )

The above should result in only Public user profiles displaying. Review the queries carefully and adjust as needed.

On the second part of the question, you had said "You could have a delimiter field with the following substitution for profile URL." That was totally confusing to me but I think I didn't make my question clear maybe? All I was asking was whether it was possible to send a link to the read page of a public user profile? Usually, if I wanted to share a website page with a friend, I could just copy the url and send a link. If I do that with CB, and my friend clicks the link, they have to register before they can see the read page of the profile. I was wondering if there was a way or should be a way that the friend could click on the link and see the profile without having to be a registered member?

You can't just copy the browser link when viewing your own profile. It contains no &user, which means it won't link to anything hen you're not logged in. The idea is to create a delimiter field that provides the proper profile URL that the user can copy and paste to their friend. I suppose you could also use CB Invites to invite the user to join the site, but that's not exactly profile sharing. Public profile access is entirely dependent on your configuration. First you need to make sure public profile access is even allowed within CB > Configuration > User Profile. Second you need to make sure CB Privacy isn't blocking the profiles access with the Profile Privacy field.

I'm not sure what a delimiter field is or why I would need another field for the purpose of sending a link? Somehow I am missing something? I am confused about this.

It's a "Custom HTML" fieldtype. It doesn't send anything. We have nothing for sharing a profile URL. The field would output a URL the user could copy and paste to their friend.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn