Using a table in profile

9 years 3 months ago #257316 by dbeezley
Using a table in profile was created by dbeezley
I'm setting up profiles for genealogy. As a part of each profile, I need to have users enter data for a "pedigree" that will then display on the Profile. What I've done so far is to create the following fields:
Self
Father
Mother
Grandfather
Grandmother
Great Grandfather
Great Grandmother
etc to 4th great grand parents.

That's 15 fields. What I really need in each of those fields is "Name" "Date of Birth" "Place of birth" "Date of Death" "Place of death". I end up having to do a lot of fixing and coaching.

What I'd rather do is have the data presented in a table. Not sure it is possible to do that with fields. That would be 75 fields. Is it possible to enter the data in an actual table and show the table in the profile? For example:

Full Name Year of birth Place of birth Year of death Place of death
Self
Father
Mother
Gfather
Gmother
GGfather
GGrandmother
(ETC)

I can put in the table as custom html, but it is not editable. Is there another way of doing this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago #257915 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Using a table in profile
You're better off creating a new CB plugin to handle this information. Trying to use profile fields is going to be a nightmare as it's not what profile fields are really designed for.

For profile view you could use a single Custom HTML field to format the information into a table, but for profile edit it's more or less stuck the way it is (as field rows); with some CSS or maybe even substitutions you can try formatting it too though.

You may want to check Joomla.org extension direction to see if a family free like extension is available and just tackle the task of pulling that data to CB (which could be done relatively easily with professional plugin CB Query Field).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #257920 by dbeezley
Replied by dbeezley on topic Using a table in profile
Thanks for getting back to me. I was just looking to see if there was anything on this question. My problem is that anything beyond WYSIWYG makes my brain hurt. Not much help with Family tree components, besides, I think it would be more complicated "pulling in" something from that sort of software than it would be to pull in a simple spreadsheet. You mention the CB Query Field... I've thought about scraping up the money for Pro club but fear anything I get there is still going to be over my head and still needing guidance. There are a lot of areas for which I'm stuck moving from idea to practicality. I've held back from posing most of my questions because it seems that you guys are pretty swamped to be dealing with everything you get hit with.

9 years 2 months ago #257953 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Using a table in profile

dbeezley wrote: Thanks for getting back to me. I was just looking to see if there was anything on this question. My problem is that anything beyond WYSIWYG makes my brain hurt. Not much help with Family tree components, besides, I think it would be more complicated "pulling in" something from that sort of software than it would be to pull in a simple spreadsheet. You mention the CB Query Field... I've thought about scraping up the money for Pro club but fear anything I get there is still going to be over my head and still needing guidance. There are a lot of areas for which I'm stuck moving from idea to practicality. I've held back from posing most of my questions because it seems that you guys are pretty swamped to be dealing with everything you get hit with.

A solution could be to use an editor field and have an empty content starting point (you can do this with JCE editor) so each profile gets a Pedigree tab with a single Pedigree HTML editor field that needs to be populated by profile owner.

P.S. Since I am also a Genealogy hobbyist you might want to look into this very nice application/script:
www.tngsitebuilding.com/

9 years 2 months ago #257976 by dbeezley
Replied by dbeezley on topic Using a table in profile
Don't know what you mean by "editor field". I don't see that among any of the field types.

Also, I've been a long-time user of TNG and intend to use it on this website. Haven't had much luck integrating it with Joomla, but that's a concern for later.

9 years 2 months ago #257995 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Using a table in profile

Don't know what you mean by "editor field". I don't see that among any of the field types.

Specifically the "Editor Text Area" fieldtype.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn