User Groups

9 years 2 months ago #257978 by dbeezley
User Groups was created by dbeezley
I'm trying to figure out how to allow for users being members of multiple groups. As I see it now, it is only possible to be a member of one group. I want to allow users to choose multiple groups they want to participate in and direct content and notifications for each of the groups they choose. Is this what Group Jive is for? I'm not wanting to have user create groups, but to have groups administratively created and user chosen. I understand that if Group Jive is THE solution, I'll need to wait for it to be developed for CB2. If Group Jive is NOT designed for this purpose, I'd like to know if there are any alternative ways.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago #257996 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic User Groups
Usergroups? Usergroups are managed from backend. GroupJive offers community groups, which are for collaborating with the community; they do not determine access and you can be in as many as you want. You need to define what Groups you're referring to as Usergroups and GJ Groups are two completely separate things. Usergroups is for determining Access typically via View Access Levels.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 2 months ago #258012 by dbeezley
Replied by dbeezley on topic User Groups
For example. There will be a number of Family Groups. Also Task Groups (people who volunteer for certain project tasks.) One person may belong to more than one of these groups. I would prefer that these groups be created and managed on the back end. I would like them to determine access levels. As I see it, a person can only belong to one usergroup. Related to that, I may be missing a concept... Are Joomla User Groups identical to CB User Groups (not talking about GJ here)?

As for GJ, I'm understanding now that it doesn't determine access, but in that case, can creation and membership in community groups be limited to people assigned and not just anyone?

9 years 2 months ago #258014 by krileon
Ok, it sounds like you're talking about Usergroups then. Yes those are created and managed from backend. No a user is not limited to one. Edit the user in User Management and select as many as you like.

Are Joomla User Groups identical to CB User Groups (not talking about GJ here)?

CB does not have usergroups. They're always Joomla usergroups.

As for GJ, I'm understanding now that it doesn't determine access, but in that case, can creation and membership in community groups be limited to people assigned and not just anyone?

Yes, group create access can be configured for certain usergroups only.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 2 months ago #258023 by dbeezley
Replied by dbeezley on topic User Groups
In Joomla's Global Configuration, there are permission settings under Global as well as in the CB component and Users Managers component. Are those all the same? I noticed when I added a new user group, it showed up in all three places, so I figured changes would be the same. However, I made a specific change (allow Access Administrative Interface) under CB, but that didn't show up for the same user in Global or User Manager. Likewise, I changed the setting in CB back to Inherited=Not Allowed and then made it "Allowed" in UM... the change only occurred in UM.

Aside from access control, are what is the practical difference between Usergroups and GJ community groups, given similar limits to creation and membership?

9 years 2 months ago #258126 by krileon
Permissions are not Usergroups. Those are access permissions for a component or component views. All of your usergroups should show up there, but those permissions are an extension by extension and in some cases view by view basis. For more information on permissions, usergroups, and view access levels I highly recommend you read Joomlas documentation as that's all core Joomla functionality that we do not cover.

Aside from access control, are what is the practical difference between Usergroups and GJ community groups, given similar limits to creation and membership?

They are 100% nothing alike and have nothing to do with one another. Usergroups are for access. They do nothing else. GroupJive Groups are frontend community groups. Like groups on Facebook, etc..

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.138 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn