Please remove the standard Avatars on update packages

7 years 7 months ago #284269 by jjsjjs
Hello,

everytime CB is updated, all my avatars are gone. And i have to upload my backup again.
Why are these avatars in the update package as i do not see any influence on working of the component.
It would save a lot of hasle if they were not in the update packeges anymore.

Could you please remove them from future updates? As they are already installed the first time.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Jerry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #284273 by nant

jjsjjs wrote: Hello,

everytime CB is updated, all my avatars are gone. And i have to upload my backup again.
Why are these avatars in the update package as i do not see any influence on working of the component.
It would save a lot of hasle if they were not in the update packeges anymore.

Could you please remove them from future updates? As they are already installed the first time.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Jerry

Not understand what you mean.

No avatars are lost when CB is upgraded.
At least not in my tests.

7 years 7 months ago #284377 by MAYASIMA
Hello Jerry,

I am assuming you are talking about the default CB Avatars (not actual member Avatars) and that you have replaced them with custom avatars.

If that is the case, you can solve this by creating a custom template (template override). After you create your custom template and have included your own Avatars, set it as your default template. Now you can update CB without losing your Avatars. Custom templates do not get overwritten.

Sima

7 years 7 months ago #284388 by krileon
You don't need to create a custom template for them. Just stop replacing them. Name them something unique then edit your image fields in CB > Field Management and change the defaults for your image fields to your custom images under Parameters > Image Display.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jjsjjs

7 years 7 months ago #284409 by jjsjjs
Thank you Krileon,

that's even a better/easier solution then getting a new template activated. Because i made one but CB does not see it, or i don't understand how to activate it. But i think i'll choose this option you have mentioned. Thanks a lot for explaining this.

Cheers!

7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #284416 by MAYASIMA
Hello Jerry,

If you are only changing the avatars, then Kyle's solution is definitely the way to go. In my experience most people that are interested in their own avatars usually want other design/styling changes as well. That is why I recommended the custom template (or override), because that is where you will have to do most changes if you do not want them to be overwritten when you update CB and in that case it is just a better design principle to use a custom template.

I understand that it might look like a challenge at first, but it is actually fairly simple to create a custom template and it can be done almost as fast as other methods. Depending on your needs, there are many other advantages. For example, if you happen to create more CB websites, a custom template can serve as the base for other projects and in that scenario will make it much easier and faster to implement your changes, even it is just only the avatars.

I thought for sure there was a tutorial about custom templates, unfortunately I cannot find it, maybe Kyle knows. I found the tutorial for the override template plugin: CB 2.0 Tutorials - 31 - Template css overrides . This will help you a lot.

Also here is a link to a custom template I created for you: jerry.zip . All you have to do is install it via the CB plugin installer. This is basically a copy of the default CB Template. If you look at the folder name, file names and search for jerry inside jerry.php and jerry.xml you will quickly understand how it works and how to create one of your own. If you are better served with the override method then you can download the example override template plugin: example.zip

Once you upload the plugin you need to publish it from the CB Plugin Management section. Once it is published you can go to the User Profile tab inside the CB Configuration section and change the template to your custom or override template.

Sima
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon, jjsjjs

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn