Default message

18 years 4 months ago #1715 by JSalvador
Default message was created by JSalvador
Is there a way to set up a field with a default message that will stay there until the user changes it. For example. I want to have a field that would be titled "more information" type: editor text. I want to make this field published on the profile but not come up on registration... but i want it to have a text that it will automatically generate for each new user until they change it i.e., "I haven't changed this section of text yet..." Is there a way I can accomplish this???

www.likeadove.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 4 months ago #1819 by JSalvador
Replied by JSalvador on topic Re:Default message
I want to set up a field that has a default message in it, that is, before the user edit's his/her profile that field will automatically display a set message is this possible?

If not is there a way to set up a field that will display a message for everyone that they cannot edit?

18 years 4 months ago #1830 by hariyanto
Replied by hariyanto on topic Re:Default message
Hi J,

I have been wondering about the same questions myself, and a way to do it I think would be to include the information when we setup the field editor text area. The message won't appear in the field, but when the user mouse over the 'i' icons, your message will appear, telling them what to do.

For a message to appear the first time user log in, you can accomplish that with changing the configuration in the 'registration tab'. Change the 'URL for first login visit' to

"http://.../component/option,com_comprofiler/task,UserDetails/Itemid,##/" The easiest way to do this, try logging in, and figure out the URL to update your profile and copy the URL to the field.

It won't keep reminding the user to fill in their profile, but sure remind them the first time they log in.

I hope this help.

Sincerely,
Ahau.

18 years 4 months ago #2195 by JSalvador
That would be a great temp fix... but I'd really like to add a default value certain fields. Is this possible at all? :huh:

18 years 4 months ago #2199 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Default message
try to use myphpadmin to change the default value for the specific field.

18 years 4 months ago #2230 by JSalvador
I tried to change it in my database... and got this error.

SQL-query:

ALTER TABLE `jos_comprofiler` CHANGE `cb_comments` `cb_comments` MEDIUMTEXT DEFAULT 'test'

MySQL said: Documentation
#1101 - BLOB/TEXT column 'cb_comments' can't have a default value

Does someone have a helping word?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn