migrating database to new joomla installation

12 years 7 months ago #173798 by agondontor
Hi,

I have a Joomla 1.5 installation with CB 1.4 data. I have CBJuice installed. I also have several custom fields and a large user database established. I am creating a new Joomla 1.7 installation essentially starting a new website from scratch. I will be installing CB 1.7 and CBJuice2 on the new website.

If I upgrade the current Joomla 1.5 installation to CB 1.7 and CBJuice2 and then export the csv will I be able to import that csv into the new 1.7 site with CB 1.7 and CBJuice2?

Because Joomla 1.7 creates a database with a different prefix will there be an issue with the database prefix jos_?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #173858 by wolverton
To transition sites from 1.5 to 1.7 we have been using jupgrade. It will make a jupgrade sub-folder within the old site and create j17_ tables in the same database.
Here's the procedure:

-Install newest cb in 1.5
-install latest cb plugins
-run jupgrade
-Install newest cb in 1.7 ( oldsite/jupgrade )
-delete newly created cb j17_comprofiler tables
-rename jos_comprofiler tables to j17_comprofiler*
-copy cb plugin files to the jupgrade installation

creating new site
-export all j17 tables... edit sql to change prefix back to jos
-install a new version of joomla 1.7
-install CB
-delete all tables in new database, import the edited sql
-copy in cb plugin files
The following user(s) said Thank You: hrmkolpa, agondontor, itsjeff

12 years 7 months ago #173859 by jciconsult
Replied by jciconsult on topic Re: migrating database to new joomla installation
The advantage of the jupgrade approach is that you get everything but you end up carrying a lot of old problems with you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: agondontor

12 years 7 months ago #173970 by agondontor
Replied by agondontor on topic Re: migrating database to new joomla installation
One of the reasons for upgrading to 1.7 is there have been some problems with the old site. I would like to avoid any issues with the new one. With a clean install can I create the same fields in the new setup and import the csv that I exported from the old setup? If I do it this way will I be able to import my users and their field information or is it better to use the method Wolverton recommended?

Thanks again.

12 years 7 months ago #174058 by wolverton
Depends on what issues you are having I suppose. If you just start from scratch and re-create the fields and then export and import with CBJuice2, the user ID's will be different which could cause problems with any migrated component tables with a user ID.
The following user(s) said Thank You: agondontor

12 years 6 months ago #174563 by jackibar

wolverton wrote: To transition sites from 1.5 to 1.7 we have been using jupgrade. It will make a jupgrade sub-folder within the old site and create j17_ tables in the same database.
Here's the procedure:

-Install newest cb in 1.5
-install latest cb plugins
-run jupgrade
-Install newest cb in 1.7 ( oldsite/jupgrade )
-delete newly created cb j17_comprofiler tables
-rename jos_comprofiler tables to j17_comprofiler*
-copy cb plugin files to the jupgrade installation

creating new site
-export all j17 tables... edit sql to change prefix back to jos
-install a new version of joomla 1.7
-install CB
-delete all tables in new database, import the edited sql
-copy in cb plugin files

I'm trying to follow these steps and have gotten as far as "-export all j17 tables... edit sql to change prefix back to jos".

After I export the tables - how do I edit the sql to change prefix back to jos? When I open the sql dump, I see tons of code and it doesn't look easy to change! Did I do the export wrong? I used phpMyAdmin and selected the j17 tables and chose "Export" to SQL file.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn