Disable Joomla email notification

12 years 5 months ago #179459 by AlexRag
Disable Joomla email notification was created by AlexRag
I am running Joomla 1.7 and have been able to import new users flawlessly so far followed up by using the CBSubs import tool to add them to the subscription list.

Problem 1: The joomla generated email that goes out to new user registration is sent out in addition to the one CBjuice allows resulting in a duplicate email to users.

Problem 2: Joomla's generated notification email sends out a blank entry for password prompting me to choose CBjuice's notification email instead.

Ideal solution: Disable the joomla generated email. How is this possible?

Other solution: Find out why the password shows up blank.

Please help!

Here is what I mean:

Hello John Doe,

You have been added as a User to ABC website by an Administrator.

This email contains your username and password to log in to ABC.com

Username: John
Password:

Please do not respond to this message as it is automatically generated and is for information purposes only.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 4 months ago #181099 by egab
Replied by egab on topic Re: Disable Joomla email notification
I would also like to know how to disable this email or at the least change the wording.

thanks!

12 years 4 months ago #181100 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Re: Disable Joomla email notification
I found a great workaround as there is not way to disable the notification. According to the suggestion on CBJuice's forum:

Import the list but without the email address (leave blank). This creates dummy email addresses so when the new user email gets sent out it goes nowhere.

Re-Import the list as an update but with the corrected email address. Then use the email tool in CBJuice to customize the user message.

The only problem is the user will have to do a password reset as the one generated by the initial import is not available send in the second email.

12 years 4 months ago #181102 by egab
Replied by egab on topic Re: Disable Joomla email notification
That is a great idea! I also was going to just change the email that went out but I can't find the exact wording in a file. I changed the en-GB.com+users.ini file, but I'm wondering with CB if that language is contained in another file.

Anyway, I tried the first method and it worked great! Thank you so much. I'm just sad I didn't think of it myself...
Julie

12 years 4 months ago #181154 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Re: Disable Joomla email notification
Glad it worked out for you! This method was a huge time saver. I added a third step and used the import feature of CBSubs using simple text files of user ids to place some users into certain subscription plans. It worked like a charm, but only after a bunch of trial and error because I also had an SQL action mixed in there to force a specific expiry date!

12 years 4 months ago #181212 by jciconsult
Replied by jciconsult on topic Re: Disable Joomla email notification
The problem is that the FIRST message is being generated by Joomla from a system plugin. At the point the message is generated, the clear-text password is not available since we are using the cb/joomla API in our code and not doing a POST from a form which is the normal backend method of adding a user. This is a real issue that has been brought to the joomla developers by CB.

My suggested method is to use the email function in CBJUICE to generate a SECOND message with the clear text password. This can be done IFF the password is in the CSV file. That is why we have the mail function. Then you can get through the process in one pass.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn