Automatically create group or join group if exists

12 years 8 months ago #172704 by softforge
I am building a site will be extensively using the fantastic auto create/join feature of GroupJive. However I cant seem to set it up in an ideal way for my use case.

What I want is for users to automatically join a group representing their town. So I have set up a new user rule to create a group based on the field cb_town. This works great but if 2 people register in the town Greenwich, we end up with 2 Greenwich groups. I can create an auto join rule for Greenwich but this would mean I would have to create a rule for every town in the UK, which would be thousands lot of rules.

So what I think would be an amazing additional option for "New Group" would be something like "Join if a groups with the same name already exists".

Do you think this feature is likely to be added to GroupJive? If not, do you think it would be possible to manually implement this feature using incubator plugins?

An extension to this idea could be applied to new categories. We want the categories to be UK counties so the Greenwich group should be created in the category Greater London. However, I couldn't find a way to automatically create a category and then create a group in the newly created category. I could pre-define all the categories (counties) and groups (towns) and create a join rule for each but this would mean that we have thousands of empty groups and we also lose the concept of a town (group) founder (owner).

Any suggestions for making this category creation and group joining dynamic?

Many thanks :)

If you like our plugins, please consider writing a review on the Joomla Extension Directory or the Community Builder Directory ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #172765 by krileon

So what I think would be an amazing additional option for "New Group" would be something like "Join if a groups with the same name already exists".

Hadn't thought of that, very good feature! Have created a feature ticket to further track its implementation.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2709

Any suggestions for making this category creation and group joining dynamic?

I've created a bug ticket to further address this. Believe what I'll do in this case is allow you to create a category and group at the same time. If that category already exists it'll just create the group and if the group already exists it'll just join it.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2710

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: softforge

12 years 8 months ago #172868 by softforge
Fantastic, thanks!

Yes, the ultimate solution would be to create a category (based on a field) and create a group in that category (based on a field) at the same time. If a group of the same name already exists, simply join it.

Thanks again, happy to test this feature pre-release. :)

If you like our plugins, please consider writing a review on the Joomla Extension Directory or the Community Builder Directory ...

12 years 8 months ago #172989 by krileon
This is fixed with next release, already completed. The below is how it works.

Auto: New Group
Category: New Category OR Existing Category (select category name)
If new category is selected you'll be able to supply the name/description
Category Unique: Makes the category exists check if the user has a category with that name, if disabled then it only checks if a category in general with that name exists
Group Name
Group Description
Group Unqiue: sames as category unique, but for groups
Auto Join: if group unique is disabled then this field is present which allows users to auto join the group if it already exists

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: softforge

12 years 8 months ago #173228 by softforge
Awesome, thanks!

Cant wait to try it :)

12 years 8 months ago #173286 by krileon
Will or hopefully be releasing an RC to professional subscribers before the end of this week. Planned it to be earlier, but was tasked with developing another payment gateway (now complete) so back on track with GJ 2.4. ;)

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn