Personalised News Feeds (like in Facebook)

15 years 11 months ago #60581 by lukas.white
Personalised News Feeds (like in Facebook) was created by lukas.white
Hi all

I've started work on a new Joomla component / module, and just want to check that what I'm looking for hasn't been done - and if anyone's working on the same thing, maybe we can join forces?

Although it's a standalone Joomla extension and can work without CB, it's going to work best with CB's connections feature.

Basically, what I'm creating is this:

- a user visits the site after x days, and an ajax-powered module displays a summary of what's happened since their last visit - e.g. how many new users have registered, how much new content has been added, how many new posts there are on the forum, etc

- a user logs on, and it becomes more personal. It goes through your list of connections and queries various components to create news, e.g.:
* who's "befriended" who (CB connections)
* who's written in who's guestbook (CB Profilebook)
* who's going to what event (for now, EventList)
* who's posted what on the forum (for now, Fireboard)
* who's commented on what (for now, JComments)

etc.

Think the news feed in Facebook!

So what I'm doing is this:

A "controller" uses a plugin mechanism to get "news" as an xml feed. Each plugin is written specifically for a component - whether it be a core component (e.g. com_content) or a third party extension (for now I'm doing: CB, CB Profilebook, EventList, Fireboard, UDDEIM, JComments).

Each plugin will be responsible for:
- deciding when to aggregate (e.g., "5 of your friends are going to an event" rather than "John Doe is going to an event"
- deciding which information is most "interesting" or relevant - e.g., 2 of your "friends" agreeing a connection with each other, rather than 1 friend + A.N.Other

The component then aggregates this information, deciding how much to display, what's most relevant, and maybe using user preferences to decide which components to display the most news feed items about.

After an initial feed, I want to be able to use AJAX to create a "live" news feed.

Sounds ambitious? Tell me about it! But it's coming along, though any input would be appreciated :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #60641 by ginosec
Replied by ginosec on topic Re:Personalised News Feeds (like in Facebook)
I'm looking for an application an application that does exactly that. Infact this seems to do even more than I hoped. Sorry I can't help with technical issues, but if I can help in any other way I can.

Some other 3rd party apps that would be great for connectivity with this (that I know of and use) are:
-jtips: could announce Sports tipping results for user and their competition

-MamboWiki: could announce new wiki pages and recent changes to exisiting pages

-PUArcade: announce new arcade highscores

edit: I've just noticed this. It has a shoutbox style news feed. Not exactly what you are planning, but probably the same idea. Note the User Feed, Friends Feed and All Feeds tabs.
steve-o-meter.com/component/option,com_comprofiler/task,userProfile/user,85/

Post edited by: ginosec, at: 2008/04/09 06:10

Post edited by: ginosec, at: 2008/04/09 07:35

15 years 10 months ago #63712 by NateM
I love your idea, but I seem to be on the wrong side of the extensions tracks. SMF, JomComment, MyBlog & JReviews support would be great.

Any progress made recently?

Post edited by: NateM, at: 2008/05/27 17:40

15 years 6 months ago #74351 by NateM
Was there ever any progress made on this? Seemed like it would have been a great idea.

15 years 5 months ago #76306 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Personalised News Feeds (like in Facebook)
Tada!

Attachment plug_friendsupdates_v2-69375ddfc89b9f49c660ab4dcfaf4de3.zip not found

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Attachments:

15 years 5 months ago #76328 by beat
Many Thanks for sharing your hard work with the community here B)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn